News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Powering accessories question

Started by Grandpawmoses, January 27, 2009, 04:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandpawmoses

I'm considering adding some lighted accessories to my layout & have a question. I currently have the EZ Command DCC system with two DCC engines (one has sound). The least complicated way to wire them is to connect them directly to the track but I'm afraid it will draw too much current. I'm okay with power right now but I'd like to add a third DCC engine (with sound) soon and was thinking about getting the 5 amp power booster if I did. Now I could just get a cheap transformer with an accessory hook up & wire all the lights back to it but since I'm thinking about a third engine anyway, should I go ahead and bite the bullet & get the power booster? (I've found one for $155 delivered if that's a consideration.) Any other suggestions? Thanks.
David
If you want a clean drink or water,
go to the head of the stream.

pdlethbridge

I hooked my turntable up to a dh123 decoder and use the blue and white wires to light the roundhouse. The turntable is controlled by my hand held NCE power cab but I can isolate everything because its wired through an on-off switch.

Hunt

Use separate power supply for accessories. Only use track power for any accessory when the function of the accessory is dependent on it.

Nigel

I have picked up "wall warts" at garage sales for $0.50 each or less for powering lights and similar accessories - pay attention to thier ratings.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955