News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

controlling power to a siding in DCC

Started by hunter2115, January 25, 2009, 03:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter2115

Can someone tell if it is possible to turn the power off and on to a siding using EZ Command? If so, how is it done? I have some favorite old passenger cars that are lit, and I'd like to be able to turn the lights off when they are in the siding.

Joe Satnik

Hi, hunter.

A simple SPST (single pole, single throw) switch wired across an insulated rail joiner between the turnout and the siding will do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

lmackattack

yep..a simple soulition is a on/off switch that controls power just to one rail.

if you want to get really slick. get a stationary decoder wired in that will turn on and off  the power to that track. not sure how the EZ command system works but its a common function availible with other DCC mfg

RAM

It is also cheap.  about 2.50 for a switch, $20.00 for a decoder.

hunter2115

Let me see if I have this right:
I'm going to add insulated joiners to both rails coming off the turnout switch onto the siding.
I'm going the run a red power extension wire from the unused side of the terminal track section (opposite where the controller plugs in) to another terminal section placed in the siding.
I'll cut just one of the two wires and hook up the two cut ends to a SP switch.
Does it matter which side of the red power extension wire I cut to put the switch in?
Will this work?
Thanks

lmackattack

It should not matter what rail you cut/supply power to via the toggle switch just keep each rail powered in the siding the same as the rest of the layout is wired. I think if its reveresed it may cause an issue? but I have never tried this so I could be wrong?

pdlethbridge

For a dead end siding only 1 insulator is needed. If the siding is a passing siding with switches at both ends, then you'll need an insulator at each switch but on the same rail and only one rail like so.
-----\--------------------------------------------------------------------------/-------
switch                                                                                    switch
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------