News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

mULTI-FUNTION DCC CHIP

Started by firebird92, January 30, 2009, 01:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firebird92

Im fairly new to dcc and only have wired one loco before. I am up to the new challenge of wiring a slighlty older 4-8-4 steam loco.
What my question is I want all the functions as my decoder I installed in my other loco. lights on/off and movement nothing special, but my steam loco smokes and want to be able to turn that on and off. The loco works great just dont want my kid buring it out using it. I would just snip the wire But I like it when it works and there isnt much room for a toggle switch. the loco isnt dcc at the moment.
Any sugesstions or items known to you that might help is gladdly appriciated.

Nigel

you definitely need to be able shut off the smoke unit with DCC - it will burnout in minutes without smoke fluid due to the high voltage of on the track wtih DCC.

You alos probably want to put some resistance in series with it to drop the voltage.  I would measure the resistance of the smoke unit, and put a resistor of similar value in series with it to reduce the voltage it sees by half.

The smoke unit can be controlled by an accessory output on a decoder, just like the lights are.  You need to get a decoder with enough outputs to control everything you want to control.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Hunt