News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Old Time Passenger Cars

Started by hawaiiho, February 03, 2009, 04:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

I have a Bachmann 4-4-0 American---the Jupiter version.

I have been searching for cars that are compatable,  both mechanically and in appearance.

Does any on know of any sources?

So far I haven't found much.

Yampa Bob

I have the Union Pacific 119, pulling a set of 34' Overtons. Central Pacific cars should be available in May.

I'm going to Caboose Hobbies next week and will inquire about them. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Tylerf

Athearn/roundhouse sells great oldtime cars

CNE Runner

My model railroad is set in 1889 and as such has required me to do some fairly extensive research on that time period. Your choice of the Jupiter is an interesting one.

First some history: the Jupiter was constructed by the Schenectady Locomotive Works (NY) in 1868 as a woodburning engine for the Central Pacific RR. The engine was dismantled and shipped by ship and barge to Sacramento, CA - to be used as a road engine...in other words, nothing special. As a result of an accident, to the special engine Antelope (which was carrying dignitaries to the Golden Spike celebration), the party transferred to the local road engine...the Jupiter. It is the famous May 10, 1869 picture of the driving of the last spike that put Jupiter's name in the history books. During an 1870s engine repainting, the name "Jupiter" was dropped and she was thereafter known as #60. In 1885, the Central Pacific was absorbed into the Southern Pacific RR and ceased to exist as a separate entity. The SP renumbered the engine as #1195 in 1891. Sadly, #1195 (ex-Jupiter) was sold for scrap in 1909 for $1,000.

Jupiter probably hauled more freight than passenger cars. Remember, this was a local road engine and took whatever traffic that was assigned. OK, regarding proper passenger cars: I would look very closely at the Mantua passenger cars...they are of the correct shape and size for the era (although they are not outstanding examples of the type). If you move the time frame up to the 1870s (and beyond) the MDC/Roundhouse cars would fit the bill (again, compromises must be made).

This engine was a woodburner and was scrapped in 1909 - so it never pulled the road's varnish...its shining moment was those couple of days in 1869 (Antelope was repaired and brought the brass hats back to Sacramento - following the ceremoney and festivities). Most railroads were converting their woodburners to coal (a rather lengthy and expensive task) by the mid to late 1870s. It is amazing that Jupiter was able to "hang in there" into the 20th century! Not having much in the way of tractive effort: think short trains and short, light cars. Personally I would repaint the engine and run her as another American 4-4-0 type - giving you many more options. Your interest in this historic period underlies the need for more locomotive and rolling stock from the major suppliers. Good luck with your Bachmann tender-driven high stepper.

Hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

hawaiiho

Thanks to all three of you for the information on the old time cars.

I went to the Roundhouse site and the Overton 34' set looks like the answer.

Bob, it looks like I am going to be waiting till May.

Ray, thanks for the history and background on the Jupiter. Some of it I knew, a lot of it was new to me.

Yampa Bob

We'll both be waiting, I have the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific sets on pre-order.  When a specific roadname is released, suggest getting two sets as they are usually limited runs.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

BaltoOhioRRfan

IF you have 22 inch curvers then you can get away with the Overland cars(50 Foot) Roundhouse put out back in december. I got a set of those for my Jupiter(to me the 34 foot overtons just look too small, i perfer the Bachmann/AHM/Rivarossi/Con-Cor size cars, which i believe are 40 foot)

Side note: I had the chance to own the two Civil War Old Time sets Bachmann put out a few years ago, but when i saw them at the show on saturday i didnt have teh $$ with me(i wasnt ognna buy anything as i just started a new job and my funds were low) but i broke into the piggy bank and went back on sunday to get them and the guy was gone, weather he sold them or not i donno. i kicked myself so hard sunday when i got home...i'm still feeling it. they were Factory Sealed for $250.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF