News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing aftermarket sound modules

Started by trainmaster971, February 11, 2009, 09:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmaster971

Today is my 63rd birthday and my son gave me a Bachmann DCC equipped 2-8-4 Berkshire.  I now have it and a DCC equipped GS-4, both without sound.  I want to add sound modules to them but am not familar with DCC. I operate the old DC way.  Do you have to remove the DCC module to install a sound module?

SteamGene

The easiest way is to replace the decoder with a new sound decoder.  But it is possible to buy a sound only decoder to add to your original motor/light decoder.  I'm not sure what the monetary savings are - if any. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

boomertom

Trainmaster, Happy Birthday !

I agree with Steamgene, easy way is to replace.
Suggest you log on to www.tonystrains.com and contact them for a specific recommendation as to decoder and speaker.
Boomertom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

boomertom

TM,

On the Tonys site, the item to click to ask a question is on the bottom of the home page item 15

Good luck and let us know how this conversion goes.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

richG

The easiest would be to unplug the old decoder, module, some call it a "chip" to add confusion. Plug in the new power/sound decoder. The decoder has chips on it.
You would have to find room for a sound only decoder and solder two wires from the sound only decoder to the wires in the tender that pick up power from the rails. Programming will be another issue. I have never done this.

The real challenge will be installing a speaker if the tender is not ready for a speaker with holes in the tender frame. I had a Spectrum 4-4-0 ready for a speaker, a Spectrum 4-6-0 not ready for a speaker.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I'm not familiar with the "Berk", just saw pictures in the catalog.

Bachmann typically uses plug in decoders in the tender, I would think just remove the old decoder and plug in a full motor/sound decoder, say a Tsunami with JST to NMRA adapter harness.  The tender wheel pickups should already be wired into the pc board.  Save the old Bachmann decoder for another project or spare.

Speaker could be located under the coal load.  Of course running on DC, the only sound you will get is the chuff and maybe a few other engine noises.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

James Thomas

Actually, when you run a Tsunami on DC you can get more than just the "chuff" and misc. engine sounds.
Two whistle blasts when you go forward.
Three whistle blasts when you go in reverse.
One whistle blast when you stop.
Bell ringing at low voltage (set by CV.)
You can set up a grade crossing whistle after a sudden voltage change by setting a CV. (Haven't figured that one out.)
You can set up a "blowdown" when you stop by setting a CV.  (Haven't figured that one out either.)