News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command Control

Started by airpixphoto, February 04, 2009, 01:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airpixphoto

It's hard to tell what got posted and what didn't I tried to attach a photo but it didn't seem to work so here's the message that I don't think went:
I have a couple questions for the ones of you who know what you're doing. I've built the Elkins, WV (my hometown) WM yard in my daughter's Basement for my grandson who is now 8. The original plan was just have a DC layout until I bought a Bachmann DCC set that was on sale mainly for the DCC EZ Command Control, a WM car and an engine that I could change shells on. A photo of the layout is attached. It's not prototypical, but he likes it & he'll be able to make it that way if he wants. I'm too old to get technical and just want to have fun with him on something he can relate to since the place once existed and still does as a station for the Durbin Greenbrier Valley Railroad.

The first question is:

Can the EZ Command Controls be piggybacked so we can program more engines or are we limited to just those 9 addresses and 0? I may have to just go ahead and break down to buy a larger unit.

I'm adding the roundhouse soon and it will fit in the upper left center of the layout in approximately the same location as the real one. My next question is:

Do any of you have experience doing this by attaching a brass sweeper to the ends of the turntable track? I think this idea could work which would allow the turntable track to get power from the main board and would carry over to the roundhouse track that is aligned with it. a thin sliver of brass might spring back straight once the turntable progresses to the next stop. A thin sliver of spring steel might even work better.

Yampa Bob

You can't piggyback EZ Command, but you can double up on your locos.  For example I have two GP40 that are well speed matched, so I run them in consist on the same address.  Another set up is a FT A & B on same address, and a pair of GP35.  That's six locos using only only 3 addresses.

Two AC4400 on same address, but I don't run them at the same time. I have a switch controlled siding for one not being run.

I also have an unpowered "fiddle" track where I store extra locos. Any locos I only run occasionally are reset to address 3 and stored in their original boxes.

I have the EZ Command and 22 locos, but never felt the need for more than 9 addresses. Connecting a Bachmann 44212 DC controller to the EZ Command will allow address 10 to be used with another DCC locomotive. Then you can run one DC locomotive with the DC controller.

I am building my own turntable and plan to use phosphor bronze wipers at the end of the bridge rails.  No special wiring or reverse polarity problems.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SvFiat

Yampa Bob Might i suggest the use of a polarity switcher to power the turntable track and a Bachmann 1 amp decoder to operate the turntable.
Seems to work well here.    ;)

Have Fun

Rangerover

I've built the Elkins, WV (my hometown) WM yard in my daughter's Basement for my grandson

Hello Elkins, WV....I live in Elkins WV, in the old Phillips Store on RT 219/North Randolph Ave, and my layout is in the store front.

I have the same system that Yampa Bob has and I can't add anything that he posted. Been running the Bachmann System 3 years and no problems.