News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

black powder

Started by Daylight4449, February 05, 2009, 04:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I assume the powder that comes with the spectrum locos is for weatheering, how do you use it? I just got my sy.

Hal

Hal
Myrtle Beach

richG

With a small paint brush, brush on a combination of 50 percent white glue and 50 percent water over the plastic coal load.  Sprinkle coal powder over the glue.

Rich

ta152h0

in real life, has there ever been a case where a coal load on a tender has caught fire ?

richG

Yes, when the tender was in a roundhouse the caught fire.

Rich

Yampa Bob

That was very considerate to provide a canopy for Freddie. Did you use styrene or metal rods for the supports?  I saved the picture for a future powered tender.

Glad I'm not the only one that enjoys bashing tenders. I have chopped, stretched even converted a couple into DCC powered canteens. Someday I'll post some pictures.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Daylight4449

I tried but am now dismayed. My brother left out some cables and i tripped on them falling on the loco. it fared better than my face.

richG

removed

WoundedBear

Very nice work. You certainly captured the feel of the prototype.

I don't think the NMRA Clearance Gauge covers that one....lol.

Sid

richG

Yeah, definitely over size but it captures the flavor of the era. The prototype had 43 inch drivers. This one has 50 inch.

I have a brass NWSL 1900 era  0-8-0T with 43 inch drivers and slightly smaller diameter boiler but I would hate to mess up a brass model.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I bet the Engineer's feet stayed toasty warm, probably kept his coffee hot too.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Woody Elmore

Maybe thermal pane storm winddows would help. Check the Grandt Line catalog!

richG

Removed