News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

shell removal

Started by ta152h0, February 08, 2009, 01:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

I have broken so many tabs in the past, this time I want to do it right. I have a brand new BACHMANN 8-40CW Diesel loco, BACHMANN # 83-502. How do I remove the shell to install a sound system ?  the picture diagram is not clear.

Yampa Bob

Looking at the diagram, it appears the shell is held on with the coupler screws. This seems to be typical of larger diesel locomotives.

Try loosening the screws a bit and see if the shell moves. You may have to slide the couplers out of the pockets to free the shell completely.

Note also there are several tabs that secure the top and cab to the shell base, which are seen more clearly by zooming the pdf file to 600%. These tabs are more easily released once the entire shell has been removed.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Hope you have enough room, an sd45 didn't have any extra room even for a sound bug. The screws that held the body were the coupler screws on each end, and remove the coupler pockets, thats all.

Yampa Bob

The PC board uses the newer solderless connectors, easy to remove the board and hard wire a decoder if space is an issue.

A good location for an oval speaker with snap on enclosure would be directly under the horn, no need to drill any holes if you use a Tsunami, as the volume is very loud.

The Soundtraxx concept for diesel locomotives is to use a tight fitting snap on enclosure on the speaker front, allowing the sound to emanate from the speaker rear.  In my AC4400, this allowed me to use the entire shell interior for sound, seemed to help the bass response, especially the deep rumbling of the motor sound.  I have the part numbers for the Soundtraxx oval speaker and enclosure if anyone needs them.

BTW, the correct prime mover for the Dash is part number 827107 GE, just released so may be on special order at most sources.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=1039&products_id=91832

ta152h0

thanks, for the info. I wanted to open her up and see what room and measurement there is for the speaker before i buy such thing. There is always the option of running two engines , the lead just being an empty shell with lights and circuitry.

Yampa Bob