News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tsunami

Started by Daylight4449, February 06, 2009, 11:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

i really want sound, if i put a tsunami decoder in a dcc engine for use on a dc layout, will it make any sound?

richG

I have installed  the Tsunami decoders. I only run DCC. I have to program then with a DCC controller first to run on DC.
Apparently the Spectrum locos that come with factory installed Tsunami are already programmed for auto DC or DCC operation. Don't know for sure as I have never bought a factory installed sound loco.

Rich

Daylight4449

By the way, how do you install it.

richG

You really have to start giving more information. What brand/model/scale? There are many variations on the subject.

Rich

lmackattack

IMO dont buy a Tsunami to run on a DC layout. you wont be able to adjust all the CV settings with DC. the factory installed Tsunami CVs are likely all set up right out of the box.

to install the decoder in a DC steam engine you need to take the engine apart to access the power pickup wires,headlght,motor etc... then you need to splice into all of them acording to the decoders instructions. after its all wired in you have to feed the wires to the tender and place the deocder ande speaker under the tender shell. Its not hard if you have some basic electrical talent and rebuilding skills. it is hard on the eyes staring at small wires for an hour or so.

James Thomas

My Bachmann On30 Tsunami sound-equipped locos work very well on DC.  If you want to change CV settings you will need to either have it done by someone with DCC (friend, club, or LHS) or by an inexpensive ($50.00) CV setting device.

When running on DC, of course, you will not be able to blow whistles or ring bells on command like you would with DCC.

-JT

OkieRick

My first Sound & DCC 2-10-2 Steamer has a Quantum decoder in it.  I bought the Quantum Engineer Sound Controller to use on my DC track.  I'm fairly sure these things are decoder brand specific (don't use a Quantum box on a Soundtraxx manufactured decoder).  The box I bought at about $50 gives me most of my Quantum sounds on a DC track but you do have to have to sound decoder for this to even work. 

Not wanting to stray too far from Bachmann, you can read more at http://www.walthers.com and search for part number 920-5990

luck-
Okie Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

SvFiat

MRC makes a pcb for sound with DC systems. Right now it's on sale for $29 so it's worth it just to try it out.

http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=7639

Have Fun

trainmaster971

I installed the MRC steam sound unit in a couple of my IHC DCC ready locos.  The combined current draw was such that they had a difficult time climbing a 2.5% grade with a moderate consist. Without the MRC units installed they breezed up the grade with no problem.  On level sections, with the sound unit installed,  they seemed to be ok.  You will need to sync the chuff yourself with the handheld unit.  The sound is ok.

grumpy

Most sound decoders draw a lot of current  and therefore reduce the performance of your other locos.
Don