News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which has what I want?

Started by fomocof250d, February 09, 2009, 05:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fomocof250d

I am looking for an HO steam locomotive. I've been searching this site and looking but Which locomotive  has sound and smoke?I'm looking for a higher end like the spectrums. Is there a sure way to tell from this site?

SteamGene

Spectrums do not give smoke.  You do not want smoke.  You may think you do, but you don't unless this is a temporary layout for grandchildren.  
For Spectrum with sound, look for "DCC with Sound On Board" or something very similar.  "DCC On Board" is not what you want nor is "DCC Ready."  
Do you have any idea what kind of steam locomotive you want from what railroad?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Tylerf

Bli Blue line sells smoke equipped steam locos with DC sound and their very good quality

Tylerf

I'm going to have too disagree with a previous comment. Yes smoke leaves a bad residue on the track BUT if done right it adds a whole new dimension and is very fun. If you're like me and has my layout in the garage that make track dirty every day and needs constant cleaning it's worth the work.

James in FL

QuotePosted by: fomocof250d  Posted on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:03 PM 
Insert Quote 
I am looking for an HO steam locomotive. I've been searching this site and looking but which locomotive has sound and smoke? I'm looking for a higher end like the spectrums. Is there a sure way to tell from this site?

The OP states this is what he desires, and asks for help finding such.

QuotePosted by: SteamGene  Posted on: February 09, 2009, 05:25:45 PM 
Insert Quote 
Spectrums do not give smoke.  You do not want smoke.  You may think you do, but you don't unless this is a temporary layout for grandchildren. 
For Spectrum with sound, look for "DCC with Sound on Board" or something very similar.  "DCC On Board" is not what you want nor is "DCC Ready." 
Gene

Please SteamGene; tell me and the other forumites here how it is you know what the OP wants?
Contrary to what you might believe, there is more than YOUR way to enjoy the hobby.
Please explain this "special gift" you have in that you "know" what others want.
QuotePosted by: SteamGene  Posted on: February 09, 2009, 05:25:45 PM 
Insert Quote 
Spectrums do not give smoke.  You do not want smoke.  You may think you do, but you don't unless this is a temporary layout for grandchildren. 
For Spectrum with sound, look for "DCC with Sound on Board" or something very similar.  "DCC On Board" is not what you want nor is "DCC Ready." 
Gene
Why ask the question Gene? Don't you know what the OP "needs"?
In your infinite wisdom you already know the answers.
You're a legend in your own mind, and nobody is as smart as you think you are.

fomocof250d

I like the Bachmann line and was looking into Bachmann. My son is 1 and already loves to watch the trains. Now I have a reason to build a layout. I also don't mind cleaning. Is there anything that I can run on ez-track and DCC from Bachmann that has SMOKE and sound? I like the 2-10-0 decapod but not sure yet. Thanks James in FL.

Guilford Guy

The 0-6-0's are in the standard range, and they do smoke but don't have sound. Mike's Train House (MTH) has several steam locomotives that smoke, and have sound, but can be fairly high in price. (The newest are 550$, and I think a reasonable price on their 4-6-2 is 250$)
If you do use smoke, try to find the Rapido smoke fluid, which they claim does not cause the track to dirty, but instead works to clean it. This will still leave a film over everything near it, but isn't that noticeable under normal household light.
Alex

Stephen D. Richards

fomocof250d

Gene is quite correct but I have done what you are inquiring about.  Seuthe makes smoke units that you can mount in your DCC locomotive but it requires some doing and on DCC you must understand that the smoke unit is a full power all the time power is on the track.  Also remember to shied the unit as well or the plastic will soften and melt on your locomotive.  Personnal experience!  The dirt part is not bad if you keep after the track.  I have three sound units that smoke.  Hope that helps a bit.  Stephen

SteamGene

James,
Do you really want me to answer your questions?  Before you answer, I would suggest you go back and READ my responses. 
"I want a model steam locomotive" covers a vast range - from models of the 1840s capable of two cars at 20MPH to a C&O H-8 capable of pulling a 100 car manifest freight at 50mph+.
The vast majority of experienced modelers don't use smoke.   There are reasons for this. 
If a person wants a sound DCC loco, he needs to know what models are NOT sound DCC. 
There are modelers who have locmotives from ten different railroads on their layout - eight of whom never interchanged or had trackage rights.  There are others who would not buy a UP Challenger if paid to purchase it.  I respect all of this.  But before giving advice, it's nice to know where the modeler is going. 
I hope this is clear to you.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

James in FL

Yes, to be fair, what Gene stated in this first sentence is correct.
Bachmann does not currently produce Spectrum Steam locomotives that have smoke units in HO scale.

Quote[Do you really want me to answer your questions? /quote]

Yes, I do Gene.

Please quote and reply from the Original Posters four sentences.

I am anxiously awaiting your reply.

How is it that you know what someone else wants?

James in FL

Fomoco,

The standard line from Bachmann offers 2 locos with smoke units, the 0-6-0 and the 2-6-0. I do not believe they are DCC equiped. I do beleive they can be converted to DCC fairly easy.

The standard line is not on par with their Spectrum line.

If you desire sound coming directly from the loco/tender this will require a DCC sound decoder and a speaker.
There are stationary sound units produced that fit under, or on, the table. Although the sound cannot travel with the loco it's the only alternative I am aware of.

As previously stated the Spectrum line doesn't offer both from the factory.
Smoke units can be added as Stephen replied. If you have the time and abilities to add one (not too awfully hard to do) that may be your best bet. Shops can be found to do this for you if you don't.

Another manufacturer may have both smoke and sound.

Enjoy the hobby in anyway you want.
Pay no attention to those who think they know what YOU want and what YOU need.

It's good to hear you are getting your son involved early.

Good Luck.

pdlethbridge

I checked and the bachmann last week told me that the 2-6-0 was not dcc ready or dcc equipped It would need hard wiring.