News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track layout

Started by HO_GUY, February 15, 2009, 09:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HO_GUY

Hi all,  I am working on a new layout and I want to have the tracks run over top of each other in certain areas but am unable to find any type of piers which allow a train to travel on top as well as thru the bottom/center, sort of like how the cities have trains running over top of streets.  If this is something I have to make instead of buying, can anyone point me in the right direction.
Thank's in advance for any help.   :)

Michigan Railfan

I have Bachmann's graduated pier set, and the E-Z Track fits just under the top track, and inbetween the two piers.  I got them for a cheap price of $20. ;)

HO_GUY

Sorry all, I don't think I was very clear or acurate in my discription.  I do have the grauated pier set but I'm not looking to do that style of an "over/under" theme.  I am looking to have both tracks running one on top of the other in the same direction instead of side by side.  Sort of like one set of track running thru a tunnel while the other set of track runs on top of the tunnel in same location...only without the tunnel and using piers instead.  Also I'm using code 83 track (atlas) for this while I have the e-z track on another set up on same table.
Again sorry for any confusion I caused.  I hope this is a clearer description and thanks for the replies.   

Joe Satnik

Sorta like this?

http://www.train-station.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl/page=PW-1960CAT.html/SID=PUT_SID_HERE

'Only Lionel can offer this Father and Son identical super "O"-HO twin railroad empire.'
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

SteamGene

Richmond, Va has this arrangement with, I think former Southern track in the street and the C&O running over it on a viaduct.  There is also a crossing for the RF&P/Seaboard (IIRC) that ran between them. 
I think your best bet would be a kit bash/scratchbuild using plastic I beams and girders.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

RAM

Guy, Mirco Engeering Company (ME) might have what you are talking about.  It is like the Chicago El system.  It is not cheap, but it is nice.

HO_GUY

wow, thanks for the replies all. 
Joe, YES that's exactly what I'm trying to do only on a straight run not so much curved.  Can you tell me if Lionel still makes that set-up (or do I have to go back to 1960  lol).  Thanks.
Ram, I looked online at the micro line.  It looks like that will work as well but I'll have to see if it's available locally to make sure.  Thanks.
Gene, thanks also.  I was thinking of using the kits but only as a last resort.

pdlethbridge

If its at the back of the layout it could be plywood and cover the face with plate girders from atlas, then use plastistruct or evergreen girders to support the front edge.

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Shapes.htm#I-Beams

Joe Satnik

This article shows the 111 trestle set. (Scroll down.)

http://www.toytrainrevue.com/sup-o.htm

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

HO_GUY

Sorry I didn't get back to you guy's earlier.  I have been shopping LOL.   Great info and ideas from everyone, most all will be used one way or another.
I wish to thank you all for helping me out here. 
I will try and post some before/after pics of my project.  Again, Thank You.

SteamGene

I've built an ME bridge.  It is nice - it is not an entry level kit. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"