News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC engine on DC

Started by gbray, February 17, 2009, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbray

Hey I am new to the DCC have been using DC since I was young, but I recently bought the Spectrum 4-8-2 mountain DCC/DC equipped with sound. I realize I am nt going to get the full benefits of the sound on DC but as I give it throttle on a scale of 1 to10 at 3 I get the stationary sound, at5 I get the horn and the chuff but the engine does not start moving till I give alot more throttle and the chuffing started way to early. Is this common or is there something in the way of programming that I can do ?I also woundered once you go DCC can you still run a DC wired loco?

Jim Banner

Many decoder equipped locomotives require more throttle to run than do their dc counterparts.  This is because the electronics in the decoder needs power before it can start feeding power to the motor.  Most sound decoders let you program when the chuffing starts in relation to motor voltage.  If you have a friend with a DCC set that can change CVs, it should be possible.

When you go to DCC, you can still run one of your dc locomotives along with your DCC ones.  Just keep an eye (or a finger?) on the temperature to prevent the motor from overheating and don't let the dc locomotive sit stopped on a DCC powered track for more than a few minutes.  My guess is that you will like DCC so well that you will want to add decoders to your favorite dc locomotives.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

For what it's worth, I currently have one sound loco, a diesel with Tsunami installed.  With my EZ Command DCC controller I get engine sound which is well matched to the throttle, along with bell, short horn, long horn, lights on/off/dim.

You will enjoy the sound a lot more when you switch to DCC. The CVs in my Tsunami could probably benefit from a slight tweaking, but I'm very satisified with the sound.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Hunt

Caveat
Not all DCC systems support the running of an analog locomotive. Some that once did have removed, for good reasons, the feature from their current DCC system.

OkieRick

Does your transformer / power pack have a "Momentum" switch on it?  If it does try turning it Off.  My Proto 2000 2-10-2 with DCC & Sound reacts a little faster with it off.  BUT...that's a part of the fun of DCC & Sound, sitting and listening to the od iron steamer come to life, building up a full head of steam, whistles & bells as it pssssssssss leaves the yard and chuffs it's way to HO gauge top speed.

I'm in the same boat - trying to decide on which DCC Command system to invest in.

You drink coffee?  Get a cup, start your locomotive, let it do what it can on a DC track.  Enjoy your coffee.

Luck & enjoy,
Rick and stick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman