News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC & analogue use

Started by piblonko, February 11, 2009, 06:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piblonko

I have run a basic Bachmann E-Z COMMAND DCC unit with no problems on DCC or with analogue locos using channel 10.  I bought a second hand Bachmann Niagara 4-8-4 loco with steam & it runs intermittently & when it does its very jerky in action.  What would cause this, any ideas please?

Tylerf

-Bad contacts/dirty track
-lubrication
-dirty wheels
-motor problems

Joe Satnik

Dear piblonko,

Maintain and troubleshoot the areas specified by Tylerf using a DC power pack.  When fixed, then go DCC.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

piblonko

Thanks Tylerf & Joe I did what you suggested & it works on DC but not on DCC. 

piblonko

Asking around town a few people say they have had the same thing.  Seems like the older locos don't like the Bachmann E-Z Command DCC using channel 10.  If they are left on too long or you persist trying to get it to work the motor just burns out.  So I'll use this on my smaller layout using DC.
Thanks for the suggestions.
piblonko

Jim Banner

I seem to remember a Niagara with a flat motor and a capacitor across the brushes.  Bachmann?  Lionel?  Something else?  I don't know.  But if you have one like that, try removing the capacitor (clip one lead in the middle so you can reconnect it later if you want to.)  Such capacitors are well known for affecting silent decoders.  But less well known is that they can draw enough current from a DCC source that they overload it, particularly if the motor draws a lot of current too.  This can cause the locomotive to run well on dc but poorly or not at all on a DCC source, such as your E-Z Command.

While snooping around inside your locomotive looking for capacitors and flat vs. can motor, lubricate everything that moves.  Light oil on the ends of the motor, axles, shafts and side rods; gear oil or light grease on gears.  Be sure to use plastic compatible oils and greases from the hobby shop as regular oils and greases can destroy your locomotive. 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.