News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

marx 027

Started by ken black, February 11, 2009, 11:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ken black

I am rewinding the field coil for a marx 027 motor. does anyone know an easy way to do it .They are not hard to do but I have trouble making the windings look good Ken

Jim Banner

If you are not in a hurry, you can wind it one layer per day.  When you finish each layer, apply a coat of varnish and let dry overnight.  This will keep the layer from moving when you add the next layer, and will help reduce the noise by keeping the windings from vibrating.  Of course, all the other MARX noises will still be there.  If you are in a hurry, do what the rest of us do - do the best you can and don't show anyone the insides of your locomotive.

If you are rebuilding with the idea of running it, there are a few other things that help.  One is to take a light cut off the face of the commutator to flatten it out, then undercut between the sections with an old hacksaw blade ground to width.  Another is to replace the skate or cut out the grooved centre of the old one and solder in a piece of copper.  A third one, if the hole in the bakelite cover that supports the commutator end of the armature is worn over size, is install an oilite bearing.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RAM

I would like the results when you finish.  Also what all you had to do, and how much wire you used.  Good luck.

ken black

I took off the old wire 125 turns which was about 19 feet of wire. I then put back 125 turns The lenght of wire is not important it is the number of turns. I was not happy with the way it looked so I did another using Jims method of one row 25 windings and varnish the row it looks great so far. The first field I did worked great motor runs well. Thanks for your help Jim .Ken