News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to change a coupler on the Steam Loco

Started by intgr462, February 12, 2009, 10:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intgr462

Hello
Can someone tell me how to change the rear coupler on the N scale steam Loco Spectrum
N&W class J 4-8-4. Bachmann unit # 82152. The one came with on the Loco dosen't fit and the box came with a spare on in the plastic bag that would. But I can't remove it, are there special way to remove the coupler and replace one? Thank you.
Chai

taz-of-boyds

If it is like the 2-8-0 or the 4-8-2 Lt Mountain:

The coupler and spring are held on by a small plastic clip.  Get set up where flying parts can be contained and found.  Carefully work at the clip pulling it off.  Replace the coupler and spring and reattach getting the tabs of the clip inserted in the holes so the tabs hold all in place.  I will see if I can post a copy of the diagram from my 4-8-2's diagram.  If you have the documentation that came with your loco, you may already have your own diagram.

Hope this helps!
Charles

intgr462

Hi, Thank you. I do have the diagram that came with the Loco, it just show all the parts and parts #. How do I pull the clip or cover off, it seem very hard, I don't really want to break it, would it come stright out? With a small screwdriver pry on it?
chai

taz-of-boyds

Chai,

You may want to disconnect the tender from the engine; holding the loco upside down, you carefully turn the tender 90 deg to the engine, and carefully move the draw-bar up off the pin on the engine.  And work on a slightly padded surface to protect the loco details.

If coupler clip is like mine the end of the clip toward the front of the engine has the little legs with the tabs on them.  To get it out, I carefully pushed on the leg near the floor of the tender to help unhook the tab and rocked the clip out carefully watching where the spring might go.  I used some fine tweezers that are bent on the end to help grab things.

Putting it back in, I carefully picked up the spring with the tweezers and loaded it in the clip.  Then holding the clip to keep the spring loaded, I carefully squeezed the coupler between the end of the spring and the clip slot (where the coupler shaft goes).  This held things in place, but it is easy to spring this assembly apart so be careful.  I handled this assembly only by the clip and used my tweezers to start one leg back in its slot, and rocked the other leg into its slot.  Then I carefully poked at the clip to be sure it was completely seated, and fiddled with the coupler to make sure it was moving properly without binding, or the clip working loose.

Then I patted myself on the back for not losing the spring.

When reconnecting the tender, use the same 90 deg alignment as disconnecting the tender.  Watch the two wires on the draw-bar.  Be sure they go one on each side of the pin on the engine.  Note the pin is split, do not let any of the wires go in the split in the pin.  If the wires on the draw-bar are located wrong expect shorts and a loco that will not run well.

Have fun carefully!
Charles

intgr462

Hi, Thank you. I did ti. It's came off the Tender end. It's held on with 2 small locking snap in pins. I had to do it twice through, the first time the coupler was installed up-side down, had to take it apart again and redo with the right side up.
Thank you for your help.
Chai

taz-of-boyds

Good stuff!  Thanks for letting me know how it came out!  The upside down is one of the things I tend to do too!
Charles