News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC installation

Started by craiglg, February 10, 2009, 05:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

craiglg

I recently purchured a Bachmann Spectrum K-4. I would like to know how much trouble it is to install a Digitrax decoder with sound. The engine is about 3 years old and never been run.
  Thank you for any help craiglg

ta152h0

need more info. If you have more than two wires between the tender and the locomotive, it could be a s easy as removing the tender shell, removing the dummy pluga and installing a decoder noting location of pin 1. If it is not DCC ready you are in for some major work including installing a new can motor.

CNE Runner

Craig...the best, cheapest, and least stressful thing you can do is send that locomotive to someone who knows what they are doing - and has installed decoders in lots of other applications. I have used Tony's Train Exchange and was pleased with the results as well as the pricing. Currently, I have a Bachmann 4-4-0 that is DCC - but doesn't have sound (my other 4-4-0 has both and what a difference). I will be sending #9 off to Tony's to get a voice.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

hotrainlover

I installed a sound/decoder in that unit, when I converted it into a GN unit.  It has a plug in 8 pin connection, in the tender.  I drilled small holes up into the coal load, where I installed the speaker.  It required filling a few areas , but it can be done.  As far as DCC, Just plug the decoder in the socket provided.  It has 2 connectors from the engine to the tender.
Hope this helps...

Yampa Bob

This won't help Craig, but the list of installs at TCS is constantly being updated. Suggest bookmarking the site for reference.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/HO_Search/search.html?search=

Whenever someone asks about a decoder install, I usually check this site first. Realize the documentation may not coincide exactly to your choice of decoder, but the pictures can be a big help.   8)

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Quote from: ta152h0 on February 10, 2009, 06:39:47 PM
If it is not DCC ready you are in for some major work including installing a new can motor.

Why would you want to install a new can motor in a locomotive that already has one?  As far as I know, all Spectrum locomotives were and are produced with can motors.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

craiglg

Yampa Bob,
  thank you for the list ,it did make it easyer to know where it start
  craiglg

Yampa Bob

You're welcome Craig.  Good luck with the install.

Please keep us posted on progress.  It's always nice to hear about modeler's successes.  Also, relating your experiences will help others. That's what this board is all about, modelers helping modelers.  8)

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Jim is right - all Spectrum steam, at least, have can motors.  Since you say your model is about three years old, I'm going to assume that it's a PRR K-4, but Bachmann also makes a C&O K-4 - which is DCC On board, though without sound. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"