News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-0 Decapod

Started by mnallis, February 20, 2009, 05:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnallis

When I put my new 2-10-0 Decapod on the test track it draws current but failed to move or light the light so I checked and the  motor runs fine when hot wired to the 4 prong plug. Is it possible that the small power pack the I use on the test track will not handle a DCC ready unit or am I missing something. everything else from the old 70's units to the new units works fine  with the test track.

Yampa Bob

Hi Mnallis,
Did you use a small DC pack to "hot wire" the locomotive?  If so, then the same pack should also run the loco with tender plugged in.

Most DC controllers have at least .7 amp output, and a DCC ready loco shouldn't draw more than about .25 amp at full throttle, with no cars.

Make sure both the 2 pin and 4 pin plugs are firmly and fully inserted into the sockets on the tender.  Sometimes they may appear to be fully seated, but requires a rather hard push to engage the tiny locking tabs on the plugs.

The circuit board in the tender has a dummy plug in the 8 pin socket.  Unplug the dummy and reinsert it firmly.

Since you confirmed the loco runs fine hot wired, the problem could be somewhere between the plugs to circuit board and back to the plugs. However you should also check the wipers on the locomotive, be sure they are all contacting the driver wheels. Best way is to support the loco upside down in a foam cradle, touch your jumpers directly to each pair of drivers one at a time to make sure all pickups are contacting.

The following thread, while not depicting your tender, may give you some insight on the wiring and connectors.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

Scroll down a few posts to see typical pinouts.

For testing locomotives I made what I call a "power stick".  Two pieces of .015 phosphor bronze wire taped to a 1/2" wide wood stick, I soldered a pair of wires to the PB wires to attach to my power pack.  The .015 wires can be bent closer or wider and are the proper size to insert into the 4 pin socket to check motor or headlight directly, or touch the wires to driver wheels to check pickups. Also very handy when cleaning/polishing drivers or other maintenance.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Tender truck spun 180 degrees causing a short?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Possibly, but unlikely on a new locomotive as there are usually stops to prevent excessive truck swivel.  Nonetheless it is something that should be checked.

Hopefully the pictures and diagrams I posted will help to verify correct orientation.

Pacific Northern

A couple of years ago now I purchased a Spectrum 2-10-0 and it arrived DOA, very disappointing. However, Bachmann replaced the unit quite quickly as I remember and had no problems with that unit.
Pacific Northern

Cooped

The following link is to a thread from when I recently bought a decapod that was DOA. There was a short in the metal strip contacting the wheels. Fairly easy fix and from what I hear a common problem in this loco.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8245.msg68117.html#msg68117

Hope this helps.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

Yampa Bob

Seems to be an epidemic of DOA 'pods. If I remember PD also received one.

mnallis

Thanks for the help, the drivers are shorted. I will fix the problem when I get home tomorrow

Cooped

You're welcome. Glad to help. Let us know if you manage to fix it.

Dan
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

Yampa Bob

Yes, please keep us posted on your findings. The information will help others with similar problems.

Regards.