News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Accurail 41' drop end gondola

Started by SteamGene, February 21, 2009, 01:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

I have some of the new 41' Accurail gons, painted in the original C&O 1948 paint scheme.  The wavy line is not easy to see, but its' there. 
This is a nice kit and they've made sure that the brake mechanism is well done, since it's visible if a car passes at eye level. 
One word of warning.  Don't try to install a Kaydee #5.  You will need whisker couplers, whether Kaydee or otherwise.  The reason is the coupler pocket mounts to the bottom of the carbody, so trying to install the coupler spring is essentially impossible.
Gene 
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

I only have a couple Accurail cars, but they are RTR and never been out of the box. I'll have to take a look at them to see what you're referring to.

I only use the #148 whisker coupler, but I prefer using the supplied boxes, seem to be more precise than the factory moulded in box.  I usually cut off the factory box and replace with the complete #148 assembly.

Thanks
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Bob,
This new box is different from other Accurail kits.  There is no box to cut off.  There is a pad, but I think to make coupler height correct if adding a Kaydee box, one would have to file down the pad.  From there one might have trouble with the weight which rests between the bottom of the gon and the floor. 
So are you the reason there are no #148s for sale at Standard Hobby Supply for the next two months?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

I don't think I'm to blame, I only buy 25 at a time. I get nervous when my inventory drops below 10. However, I usually get blamed for everything else, so why not?  :D

With my lousy eyesight, I love working with the #148, just a simple "snap and screw".  Hey you're one of the guys who beat me on the head two years ago and said: "You will use Kadee couplers or else!" 

I often have to drill holes in the weight and add a styrene block for the coupler box screw, and have filed down many pads. I have a very sharp chisel the right width.

I guess what you have is basically an upside down box with the floor as the cover?

pdlethbridge

Bob, I usually get the dropsies and I probably got about 3 cars worth of car parts on the rug. I checked and I did. You probably have a few dozen extra couplers on your rug. Have you wife check. ;D ;D ;D ;D

SteamGene

Bob,
I don't think I resemble that threat.  I use others as long as they work.  When they fail, they get replaced with Kadees.  I have plenty of #5s, but the 148 will make assembling more of these gons easier.  I actually have more than I need.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

I was just kidding of course. I run whatever comes on the car until they break or start causing problems.

This is a bit off topic but I've mentioned it before. Friends send me lots of old cars to fix up, they usually need trucks and/or metal wheels.  I have found these trucks to be excellent for my needs.  I keep at least 30 sets on hand, the metal wheels roll so easily I don't even have to ream the journals.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWN06&P=SM

Pick up a pack or two and try them, unless you're a diehard rivet counter, I think you'll be pleased with the quality (and price).