News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Russian 2-10-0 Decapod

Started by trainmaster971, February 16, 2009, 07:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmaster971

I just received my 2-10-0 Decapod, model #81706, from The Favorite Spot. Out of the box it ran but would stall.  When it did I moved it sideways on the track and it started up and run.  After a few trips around my 3.94 scale mile mainline it quit the stalling but there is a slight noise at a mid range speed (30-40 scale mph). At slow speed and highballing there is no noise. Is the noise common or does it decrease with time?

Pacific Northern

Have you broken in the engine with a few hours running time and lubed the engine? Sounds like you may have spent insufficient time for the break in period.
Pacific Northern

trainmaster971

I applied a light oil, as I always do, as soon as I got it out of the box.  I have since made a few more trips around the layout and the noise has decreased some but is still there.  Total run time now is about 35 minutes with no cars attached.

Pacific Northern

The written instructions that come with your engine indicate the run in period is a couple of hours, running backwards and forwards and not at top speed.
Pacific Northern

trainmaster971

I have been running in forward and reverse at various speeds.  I have broken motors in for over 30 years and have not had one that required 2 hours run time to quiet down. I will run it some more later.  As I first asked, does it normally have the noise at the mid range speeds out of the box?  That is the main concern. I will be relettering it for the Rio Grande and do not want to have to return it later due to the noise continuing.

pdlethbridge

Some locos and I think its more with diesels. is that their bodies sometimes vibrate and amplify any sounds that occur. I had that problem with my connie and adding tape to each side of the weight inside the boiler stopped the sound. If your engine is running smoothly but noisy maybe its the body making the sound louder.

James in FL

QuoteOut of the box it ran but would stall.  When it did I moved it sideways on the track and it started up and run.

Did you check the wheel gauge?

Yampa Bob

Notice that the drivers move from side to side, this helps in negotiating curves. However, the wipers must "follow" the side to side movement.  Turn the loco upside down and observe, with the aid of a small flashlight, that the wipers are in fact staying in contact with the drivers as you move them back and forth.

This extra movement also tends to generate more noise as the side rods flex with the movement.  I have found that maintaining sufficient grease in the gear box helps with the noise a bit.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

trainmaster971

Thanks all for your recommendations and ideas. I have since continued to run in the motor and the loco runs fine except for the noise.  It has decreased somewhat but is still there.  I think that I have narrowed it down to a harmonic from the drive belt to the assembly as it only does it in a narrow speed range.  Above or below this speed (about 35 scale mph) there is no noise.  I tend to operate at realistic speeds so I will be below this speed.

RAM

My guess would be that the top speed was about 25 or 30 mph.  So you should be all right.

trainmaster971

Well, back to square one.  I was working on the railroad this weekend and decided to run the decapod for a while.  Aligned the turnouts, applied power and it would only move at a very slow pace. As I had been working in that area I though I may have caused a short. Turned everything off and checked. No wiring problem.  Visually checked the loco and nothing amiss. Applied power again and it operated like it should until it hit the curve where it slowed to barely moving.  The dreaded shorting of the frame had surfaced.  Applied a trimmed piece of electrician tape to the frame with an opening for the gear. Now the loco operates fine but the noise level that had all but gone has increased noticeably. Any new ideas as where to check for the noise source?