STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2018, 03:34:14 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Doctor Bachmann
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Doctor Bachmann  (Read 482 times)
Radioguy

Leaping out of the cab every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Today at 01:51:56 AM »

Unfortunately we donít make a train shaped like a police box....

As others have said, you have made Star Trek and STAR WARS sets, so it's actually hard to comprehend why you haven't sought this license as well. Incidentally, those sets didn't look like NCC-1701 or the Millennium Falcon either...  Wink

That said, any Doctor Who fan who knows anything about licensed merchandise knows the first right of refusal ought to lie with Dapol, as they, aside from producing trains in the scales we know, also produced the official Doctor Who action figures in the 80s and 90s. If I ever expected a N or HO set, it would have been from them.

However, if by some stunning chance they wouldn't produce any, a UK-based producer still seems more realistic, and Hornby seems the next most likely choice. They have plenty of licensed brand experience as they were the official producer of Thomas The Tank Engine in AC trains before Bachmann obtained the license.

Still, with producers ever-dwindling, Bachmann really ought to be vying for this. The time is right to try, what with new contracts being done for the new series merchandise.

Really, there's something poetic about a Doctor-branded engine with companion-branded carriages following behind...
Warflight

I'll be your Huckle Bearer...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: Today at 02:08:26 AM »

I just got in from Who Con (heading back early tomorrow to put on a panel) and I brought this up there... a LOT of folks LOVE the idea, and would totally buy a Doctor Who themed train set (and they too talked of making a UNIT train)
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Today at 11:08:14 AM »

Len - You make some good points. Is the track that the diesel is on perpendicular to the trestle or going under it at a slant? Camera angle is deceiving.
Here's another thought. On the upper track, it looks to be 14 or 15 boards between bents. Are those ties that are part of the track or boards that are are part of the trestle? I've seen model railroad trestles both ways - with boards laid across the stringers and then track and ties on top of that and then where the boards across the stringers are the ties and the rail laid directly on them.
The ones on the trestle look closer together then the ones on the ground so they probbly aren't the ties.
I know it's not E-Z Track on the trestle but for E-Z Track - 14 ties = 3 5/8"  15 ties = 3 15/16".

Feel like a Mogul.
Warflight

I'll be your Huckle Bearer...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Today at 11:20:21 AM »

I think there is only one way to solve this... somebody buy it, and send it to me, and I will be happy to give accurate measurements in both Imperial, as well as metric!

It's a tough job, but, I'm willing to take one for the team here! It's the the nice kinda guy I am!

MWA-HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(Oh... wait... ignore the maniacal laughter...)
Terry Toenges

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Today at 11:24:06 AM »

I used to watch Dr. Who many years ago in the 70's and 80's. I haven't watched it since it's rebirth. I guess it has a whole new following in the younger generations.
I actually worked for U.N.I.T.'s sister organization when I lived in New York in the 70's - U.N.S.S. United Nations Security Section Grin

Feel like a Mogul.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: