News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting to DCC.

Started by CraigB, April 27, 2024, 04:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigB

Sound value.  I've read that the TCS decoders are even better.  Hard to imagine how.  And yes, the smooth running at slow speed makes it nice and easy to manipulate connecting cars, navigating turnouts....etc.

trainman203

Cv's 209 and 210 govern motor control.

This will work for any sound value engine, and for Tsunami before series 2.

1.  Get engine on a track controlled by a system that can change cv settings (no EZ Command)
2.  Set cv 2 (starting voltage), 3 and 4 (momentum), 209 and 210 (motor control) to 0.
3.  Set throttle to step 1.  Engine won't move yet.
4.  Try gradually increasing cv 210 value until engine barely starts to move.  It will be jerky.
5.  Slowly increase cv 209 value until jerkiness smooths out.
6.  Set momentum values for smooth start and stop.  I like cv3=100 and cv 4=50 but you may want more or less, experiment.

At this point that baby ought to start and stop silky smooth and crawl like an ant.

If things slip up you can always reset with cv8=8 plus track power interruption.

CraigB

Hmmm..........All I have is EZ Command Plus.

trainman203

Can't do any of that on EZ command.  It is a train set unit, designed to at least open the door to DCC and sound for train sets. 

The customizing of CV settings is a more advanced Model Railroad process.  Most train set people don't want to fool with that or don't even know about it. So Bachmann has properly produced a unit that provides just enough DCC features to please them, allowing basic sound and some basic functions. 

EZ command is basically DCC training wheels.  At some point you'll want to take them off and get a big boy bike.  It took me a year to do that.  EZ command was great for a while, but it finally got old.  When I did get a full DCC system, it was akin to seeing the universe for the first time through the Hubble telescope.