BASIC TRACK PLANNING FOR EZ TRACK DOUBLE CROSSOVER

Started by garybpill, January 16, 2009, 12:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garybpill

Old American flyer hobbyiest, returning to trains after 40 years. grandkids love them and Pa's house has room.
Trying to plan 22 ez tracl oval with 18 oval inside, linked by R & L crossover switch, but can't find on line the length of item 160-44576 ez remote r croccover? What is meant by #6 Rt handere etc as opposed to #4, and how much straight must i put between two ovals so crossover on right and left will meet.
Grandpa Gary [garybpill]

Joe Satnik

Dear Gary,

one 44575 left crossover (modified for DC operation)

one 44576 right crossover (modified for DC operation)

two 44512 3" straights (4/pkg)

The two crossovers will replace 8 or 12 of the 9" straights.

Center the crossovers on the opposite sides of the ovals. 

Split the end 18"R half circles in half and install a 3" straight between them.

This should be within 1/4" error, half circles vs. crossovers.

Here is the link for the crossover mods.  Scroll to bottom of the page. 

http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Modeling%20Techniques.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

USNavyChiefRet

I have a Bachmann EZ Track Right Hand crossover, Bachmann # 44576. As I understand it is wired, right out of the box, for DCC. My question is what are the two black wires, underneath, that look like they have half a rail connector, connected to them? I can run continuity and it looks like they are each wired, respectively, to the "points", one to the leading point on the outside rail, the other to the "points" on the inside rail. I'm just curious. Are these there in case you want to wire this piece of track for straight DC so you can isolate the rails?

USNavyChiefRet

Quote from: Hunt on February 18, 2009, 03:01:22 AM
Out of the package a metal frog on a Bachmann HO turnout or crossover is not powered.

The black wire underneath with one end loose is connected to the post under the frog to polarize the frog.

Best if using DCC not to polarize the frog unless absolute necessary because of a short wheelbase locomotive.

O.K. I do have another question, Hunt. If one were going to "polarize the frog" on a #6 right hand crossover, what do you connect the loose wire(s) underneath too? How would one wire that? The crossover I have says it is a " Bachmann #6 Crossover Right Hand # H-4576-B".

Jhanecker2

Hi . The loose wire beneath the turnout is connected to a contact directly underneath the frog . Check the back of the cardboard the turnout was blister packed on ,there should be a diagram . the turnout is wired the same as any other turnout.  For a crossover you wire both turnouts to be either N or R together.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Further explanation:

N = "Normal", which means the points are thrown for the "main line" route.

R = "Reverse", which means the points are thrown for the "divergent" route.

Jhanecker2 said:

"For a crossover you wire both turnouts to be either N or R together."

Yes, I agree, IF your AC transformer/ AC Accessories output has enough "Oomph" (Volt-Amps) to drive both solenoids at the same time.

If it is too weak, the points may not move far enough to avoid derailments. 

You would then wire both controllers (as shown on the package) so the slides go in the same direction for "N", and the same direction for "R", and then operate them separately, one after the other.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.