News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoders with sound

Started by Reinhard S, March 03, 2009, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinhard S

The 45 ton switcher is advertised as designed for after market sound.  Has anybody made the change on this unit to a decoder with sound and can make recommendations?  Also is it possible to add a decoder with sound to the 44 ton switcher without any major modifications?

Thanks in advance!!

Reinhard

Yampa Bob

I don't know about the 45 ton. I have a 44 ton on the bench with shell removed, there is very little extra space.

You might be able to shoehorn in a hard wired Micro-Tsunami, but the speaker can't be over 1/2" diameter, and would have to be fastened to the roof.

At first glance, it's not an install I'd care to attempt. Of course if I had such a decoder and speaker I would probably try it anyway, I'm a glutton for punishment.  :D

If you're determined to do such an install, I can at least give you some tips on mounting the speaker.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Reinhard S

Thanks for the information Yampa Bob.  I don't know if I will attempt this since I am very new to DCC.  Since you had the 44 ton switcher open (I have not purchased mine yet) does it have an 8 pin plug or a wire harness since it states DCC ready?

Thanks again!!

Reinhard. 

Yampa Bob

My 44 ton came DCC equipped. The decoder harness leads are soldered into the circuit board.

Reinhard S

Great news that the 44 ton switcher is DCC equiped.  The product web-site and catalog say only DCC ready.  Is this a mis-print?

richG

You have to pay attention to some of the online suppliers that have been mentioned in these forums for Bachmann products.
Bachmann Product site historically has never had the best product information.

Rich

Yampa Bob

My 44 ton is a Rio Grande, it was a mid year release. I haven't received the 2009 catalog yet.

Reinhard S

Thanks to all!  Can't wait to check the local hobby shop on Monday!

Reinhard