News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cool things Bachmann is good at!

Started by daniel_leavitt2000, February 12, 2009, 09:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel_leavitt2000

Each manufactuer has their niche. Atlas makes the best diesels out there. Con-Cor has made some really neat streamlined trains. Kato seems to be focusing on modern power and named passenger trains. Bachmann has some great stuff that I would like to see more of...

Steam!
Bachmann and Model Power both focus on steam engines rather then diesels. Bachmann wins hands down. Their 2-8-0 may very well be the best plastic steamer ever. With a little tweaking they can run circles around Kato's Mike for half the price.

The re-made N&W J shows that Bachmann is clearly the best at die-cast engines in N-scale. Few have tried and those that did make products with metal shells were poor looking and performing. My J is one of the very best runners I have ever seen. Better then a Kato SD45, better then an Atlas B23-7.

I hope to see more steam in teh future. I think some PRR specific engines are called for. We have the Broadway, we have a GG!... now its time to fill in teh gaps! I woulden't mind a Spectrum USRA 0-6-0 for my BM/MEC switchiing layout.

Bachmann has been the only manufactuer to dive into Amtrak with any serious effort. I have two HHP8s which are a lot of fun to run around the layout. The new Amfleet cars are great, but I would love to see some Amfleet !! cars or even better some Horizon/Comet II cars that can be used with commuter railroads as well.

I know that others would love to see some Bachmann heavyweight cars. While Micro Trains has anounced 4 heavyweight bodystyles, there is a lot more not yet done. Bachmann has proved they can make an incredible passenger car... just look at the Acela or the Jackson Sharp open coach.

dtpowell

I haven't heard about the Mocro-trains line Heavyweights. That is good news!
I too would still like to see Bachmann produce some Heavyweights though.
I have some N scale British. Graham Farish (Bachmann) to be certain. I took delivery of a set of Stainer coaches this fall. I also have a set of MK1 Pullmans I run with a West Country
4-6-2. The detail on both are breath taking even under a magnifing glass! I can only amagine what a set of Bachmann Heavyweights woud look like. I hope we don't have a long wait!

taz-of-boyds

Some Bachmann Heavyweights to go with my Jackson Sharp open coach would be great!  They will go well with Ten Wheelers and Pacifics!

Ever Hopeful (and grateful for the great steam we have now),
Charles

GlennW

Another item Bachmann is good at is HO scale steam. Check out the HO scale product. Had their Sodor layout at the WHG Nashville show. Hope you get to see it in person! With 3 levels, the layout can easily handle 5 trains at one time, each one on it's own loop. A Thomas modeler could easily run Thomas, Gordon, Henry, or some of their friends. 

I agree with the Heavy Mountain & Mallet Bachmann can make some great Nscale steam. From the display, even the small switchers look a lot better.  With the New Tenders, Bachmann has made a great leap forward.

Something I don't know how Bachmann can fix is the backlog of Rapido coupler equipment still in the pipeline. There still is a lot of old stock still sold in trainsets.

I'd like to see Mr Bachmann set up a FAQ section for subjects like this. It could help newbies converting from Rapidos to Knuckles.

jwoj69

i have to aree. i'm blessed with accela set. Beaty. THERE IS A TRUE REVOLUTION IN NEW BACHMANN SPECTRUM DIESELS. OLD SPECTRUM LINE WAS A CHIP LINE, SOMETIMES NOISY, SOMETIMES LOOKS NOT THE GREATEST ( I DID NOT SEE ONE DASH 8-40 WITH STRAIGHT RAILINGS) ALWAYS FEW STEPS BEHIND ATLAS OR  EVEN LLIFELIKE. NOW I BOTH IT MY SECONDSD-45. LOOKS WINDSHIELD WIPERS MOLDED O THE FRONT WINDOWS, NICE RAILINGS (NEW LIFELIKE WALTHERS ARE SO THIN YOU AFFRAID TO BREAK THEM JUST BY LOOKING) EVEN A GAS TANK IS RICH IN DETAIL. AHA LED LIGHTS, AND NOT AS NOISY AS H16 SPECTRUM. AND SINCE I GOT IT FOR ABOUT $25 BUGS ON EBAY BRAND NEW (FROM AUTHORIZED DEALER) AND THING BACHMANN OWES THE WORLD!!!! 2 YEARS AGO I WOULD MAKE MY LIST OF THE COMPLAINTS, NOW I  HAVE 3 BEAUTIFUL AS WELL GREAT PERFORMING STEAM ENGINES, ALL SPECTRUM 2-8-0, 4-8-2, 2-6-6-2 AND 3 GREAT DIESELSNACCELA, SD-45 AND H-16 (ALSO SPECTRUM), I KNOW FLEISCHMANN AND KATO WILL ALWAYS HAVE THEIR PLACE IN N SCALE, BUT I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMEND MY LOCAL FRIEND BACHMANN TRAINS.
PS.
NEW SPECTRUM ENGINES HAVE LEDS INSTEAD OF LIGHT BULBS, THAT THE TRICK TO FIND THEM AT LEAST FOR ME.
I JUST WONDER WHATS NEXT, I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD A CHALLENGER....
IMAGINE BACHMANN CHALLENGER!!! HOW ABOUT BACHMANN?!