Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

radius

Started by old drag racer, January 11, 2009, 01:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old drag racer

If i use a 17.5 inch radius what is the largest steam eng. i can use? Thank You

GlennW

Are you sure you want this posted in Nscale Forum? A 17.5" curve is very broad for Nscale.
You may have a problem with some models at 11.5".

old drag racer

the Bachmann USRA 4-8-2 mountain says works best on a 19 in. radius.Will it work on 17.5 in?

in_eden

I've been runnning both a Spectrum J 4-8-4 and a Heavy Mountain on a 4x2 layout with 11.5" radius curves, and the Mountain has no problems. It is an excellent runner.
I wouldn't go any smaller, but at 17" radius, you will be more than fine.

taku

Does the N scale EZ track only come in the 2 radii?   I only see the 11.25 and 19".    In addition to an HO layout, I was considering a small N scale layout for an area that is 34"  One seems unneccessarily tight and the other just a bit too large to stay within the limit.
Do you just use lots of flex track & cork roadbed?   Does Bachmann make any or do I just go to Atlas?

GlennW

If you want plastic track, check out Kato Unitrak or the new Atlas trak. Go to their website to find what they make. You can make an adapter to fit with EZtrak. Bachmann only makes 2 curves. I'd like to see them make more.

James in FL

QuotePosted by: old drag racer  Posted on: January 11, 2009, 07:21:55 PM 
Insert Quote 
the Bachmann USRA 4-8-2 mountain says works best on a 19 in. radius.Will it work on 17.5 in?

Yes, it will.

QuotePosted by: taku  Posted on: March 08, 2009, 08:01:16 PM 
Insert Quote 
Does the N scale EZ track only come in the 2 radii?   I only see the 11.25 and 19".    In addition to an HO layout, I was considering a small N scale layout for an area that is 34"  One seems unneccessarily tight and the other just a bit too large to stay within the limit.
Do you just use lots of flex track & cork roadbed?   Does Bachmann make any or do I just go to Atlas?

Yes, B'mann just makes the two 11.25r and 19r.

It's possible you could use the 19r as an easement into the 11.25r thus opening it up bit.

Good luck