News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Knawha to greenbrier conversion

Started by Daylight4449, March 11, 2009, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I saw a conversion of a 2-8-0 to a mike and as many of you may know from my previous posts, i want a grrenbrier. I plan on converting a c&o knawha to a C&o greenbrier Numbered 614. Any advive, this is my first rebuild.

Guilford Guy

Greenbriars and Kanawhas are two different beasts.
The Greenbriars had 72 inch drivers compared to 69 inch, and the 4-8-4's were 7 feet longer than the 2-8-4's, not to mention many differences, such as on the pilot and smoke box.
Alex

Daylight4449

The models are close enough to please me, plus i will extend it and do other small tinkerings, I know it wont be exact but it is my only option, now.

SteamGene

I don't think it would be even close.  You are better off saving your pennies and buying a brass J-3.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Daylight4449

boomertom

Quote from: SteamGene on March 11, 2009, 04:06:22 PM
I don't think it would be even close.  You are better off saving your pennies and buying a brass J-3.
Gene

That's a lot of pennies, Gene.

If close is what the goal is a Precision Scale Reading would be a good start, it was even has sound and was used on Chessie System before the 614.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Daylight4449

I have a budget of 400 but it must be able to recieve dcc.

Daylight4449

so i can't find a brass j-3a, any suggetions.

SteamGene

You got one from Tom, that's fairly good for what you want.  The other thing is to try searching the web.  Brass locomotives don't grown on trees and it may take a while to find one. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

boomertom

I spent some time this morning with C & O Power, what you propose would not be totally impossible.

You might give some consideration to using a K4 in conjunction with Bachmann's J2 mountain. The drivers would be closer ,you might be able to bash the boilers to approximate that of the J3, and you could use the mountains trailing truck.

You should also consider joining one of the C & O yahoo groups. It might be that someone has attempted this before and could offer advice.

Good luck.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Daylight4449

I will look into that, what i was thinking would not fix the drivers but would be increasing the boiler lenth by 9/10 inches and the drivers would be revesed, alowwing for the main cod to meet the drivers at the 2nd driver, not the 3rd. also doing some piolot modifing and some renumbering. Any ideas how to number it 614?

Guilford Guy

Painting and decalling should be the least of your worries with all the modifications you've proposed.
Alex

Daylight4449

Yeah, i think so to, it is the smallest job.