Soundtraxx TSU-1000 HEAVY STEAM DECODER -- TWO QUESTIONS FOR YOU THAT HAVE

Started by OkieRick, March 10, 2009, 12:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

With the behind the scenes assistance of Yampa and some advice from Soundtraxx I completed the TSU-1000 sound upgrade to my 2-10-2 Light.

[1] Has anyone added a CAM to aid / provide truer sound?

[2] What is the easiest way to increase all volumes at once if possible?

I've read the operations guide but at this time have no programmer.  I can send it to Tulsa with a friend and have it done in a train shop.

Information is appreciated.
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Tim

Rick

I strongly suggest that you be present when your decoder
is being programed, as there are many settings that are
subject to personal preference.

As an example:  I use Decoder-Pro to set up my customers decoders
you can printout all the settings 10 + pages.

Having said all that, setting the chuff rate is relatively simple.

Once all the operating parameters (Start voltage/Speed table, Back emf etc)
are set then you can set the chuff rate.

CV 116 is the chuff rate, start with a value of 100, then run the loco at a low speed
so that you can observe the crankpin on the last driver (most visible on most loco's)

Count the chuff's per revolution.  If there more than four per revolution decrease
the value in CV 116.  If there are less than four increase the value in CV 116.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

P.S. : If your programmer is using Decoder-Pro the chuff rate is found in the Sound Levels field.

HO-Ron

Rick,

[1] Has anyone added a CAM to aid / provide tuer sound?

I have done this several times and the effort was worth it, but with the older DSD150 Soundtraxx decoders. The new
Tsunami does a pretty good job of setting the chuff rate to an accurate rate. You won't notice the difference in most cases. Older Brass models, I find, can be setup with the cam a lot easier than the newer plastic models. The wiring necessary and routing the cam wire is a real issue with the plastic models.  :'(

[2] What is the easiest way to increase all volumes at once if possible?

CV128 controls the master volume. It is set at about 3/4 of the total value allowed. You have some room to move if you need it....  ;D

Hope this helps, HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

lmackattack

Rick

I have a TSU-1000 in a heavy mountain
first is your speaker fully enclosed in the tender? this makes a huge diffrence.. these small speakers need a baffel to trap the sounds to become louder. if its properly enclosed then you need holes for the sound to escape. My Bachman mountain has the speaker under the coal load. Its fully inclosed with the help of some styreen. I  drilled holes in the coal so the sounds can escape upwards.I added some woodland senics soal to hide the holes better than the plastic did.  i then blocked off the gap near the tender floor so that the whole tender shell is a baffel. this made the sounds fairly louder than stock. I then set the master volume to 100% and adjust each sound to a desired level. you can also adjust the EQ settings to get it even louder.

regarding the cam. yes it will sync better thru the RPM range. my mountain ran smooth but it did not like to pull weight and maintain a steady RPM. I had to install a stronger Kato motor so that the sound stayed in line with wheel revs. if your loco is a good runner and maintains RPM under load the cam is not really needed unless you are a rivit counter LOL

OkieRick

The speaker is beneath the coal load and plenty of holes were drilled in it.  This tender has a chamber beneath the coal load - makes for a great place to put a speaker.  I only put a 1" dia. speaker in - probably have room for a larger oblong speaker.  I rubber cemented the insides of the chamber and secured the speaker to the coal load.

I've seen "bass" speakers advertised to go into a 2 speaker system for accent of that range of sounds.  I may try that first.  I think I saw them at Soundtraxx or Cabosse.  I need more couplers & steel wheels - I'll order another speaker at the same time.

The cam, well I'll experiment with the cam another day.  I have enough to do.

Thanks for the info-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

lmackattack

Hi rick sound like your off to a good start. I under stand that the speaker is under the coal load but it has open aera around it still this may work but I think you can get more volume out f it? A simple trick is to take a sheet of styreen and cut out a hole for the speaker to sit in. then glue the sheet under the coal load. this gives the back side of the speaker a full 100% enclousre to work with.some will drill small holes to allow the air to flow in and out of the baffel.  this helps with bass. I am fairly new to this stuff but doing that on a few of my tenders made a night and day diffrence with my 2 steam engines with TSU1000. if you want PM me your email and I will take a few photos of my tender shell with the speaker installed to show what I did.

Thanks
Trent