News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Constant intensity lighting

Started by trainmaster971, March 13, 2009, 12:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmaster971

Is there any plug in module that would provide constant intensity lights for DCC ready locos?

I have four Bachmann steam locos that are DCC ready that I operate on my DC layout.  The headlight is barely visible when at prototypical speeds. Also the lights in my Bachmann doodlebug and an observation coupled to it are not visible at all at prototypical speeds.

The locos that I have from BLI and Proto have headlights that are constantly bright when power is applied.

Jim Banner

Constant lighting usually involves low voltage lights that can come on at voltages lower than what are required to start the locomotive moving.  These lights in turn require some form of regulator to keep the voltage down to a safe level when the locomotive is run at maximum speed.  All of this is extra cost if your ultimate aim is to upgrade to DCC.  Many of us using DCC are less than happy with constant lighting and see it as something we have to pay for and do not need.  After paying for it once, it hurts when you have to pay for it a second time when you replace the installed lights with ones that are more DCC friendly.

A module such as you describe could easily be manufactured to plug into the 8 pin DCC socket.  But would you be willing to buy one if it cost as much as 1/2 the price of a decoder?  I would not, but seeing I am already running DCC, my views are biased.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

trainmaster971

What type of installed constant lighting is removed to upgrade to DCC? I have no desire to change to DCC and would indeed purchase constant lighting modules to install in my fleet of 9 steam locos that are not currently equipped.

The Bachmann GS-4 and Proto 2000 2-8-4 that I have are DCC equipped and the lights are constant intensity.  The 3 BLI locos that I have are sound equipped and DCC ready with constant intensity lighting. Would it be necessary to install DCC decoders in order to get the desired constant lights?  If so, what is the cost of the basic decoder that would be required? Or, are the lights that are typically removed able to be purchased for my type application?

Yampa Bob

This site has some lighting circuit diagrams, I haven't studied them, don't know if they will work for you or not. All my locos are DCC, so haven't given it any thought.
http://www.mrollins.com/circuit.html

More model train circuits:

http://www.hobbyprojects.com/T/train_model_circuits.html

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CircuitIndex.html
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Atlantic Central

Jim Banner, That's an interesting point.

Kind of like us DC guys having to buy locos with decoders or harnesses for decoders, etc.

Actually, if the price difference is low, I don't care. I just bought two BLI Heavy Mikes, one used DCC one and one new Blue Line one. Both a good prices. I will be replacing the tenders and abandoning the sound.

Then I will most likely remove the sound board/decoder and use those tenders behind other locos.

As for constant lighting, I have that built into my DC throttles. I use the Aristo Craft Train Engineer and its pulse widith modulation gives perfect constant lighting to all DC models, since it puts 12 volts on the track as soon as the throttle is advanced, long before the loco moves.

Touch the throttle, lights on, touch it again, loco slowly pulls away.

Trainmaster971, which locos do you have, seems to me some of the Bachmann locos do have constant lighting for DC, some don't.

Sheldon

trainmaster971

Billm10454 - Checked the e-bay listing and it appears that the seller is making a double light (forward/reverse) for diesels. It has a price of $7.99 plus $3.00 shipping.  I asked him about two seperate lights (loco/tender) and am waiting for his reply. The installation appears to only require the replacing of the existing lights.

The Bachmann locos I have that I would like to add constant lighting to I think are all Spectrum models:  2-6-2, 2-10-0, 2-8-2 and a doodlebug.  In addition I have IHC premier models: 2-6-0, 2-8-0, 4-6-2, 2-8-2 and 4-8-2 that need new lighting. If I get around to it I need to do something about the factory installed light in the Bachmann Observation pulled with the doodlebug.

richG

As far as I know, constant lighting is only for 1.5 volt bulbs.
A basic front light only constant lighting module consist of four diodes which supply 1.5 volts.
LEDs require around 2 volts with a resistor to limit current to around 10ma.
The Spectrum 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 I have use LEDs.
Resistors and diodes for the lighting circuit are on the PC boards.
If you want to use the 8 pin plug, you will have to bypass the resistors.

Rich