News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bach- man. I'm confused about what

Started by HarryHotspur, March 26, 2009, 01:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryHotspur

Bachmann parts I need to lower the original On30 cars. Do I need the replacement chassis and new trucks? What about new bolsters, washers, etc? Also, do the couplers need to be changed or modified?

What about the passenger cars? Can they be modified with the same parts.

Finally, I see the parts are no longer listed in the online section of this site. Does that mean they are no longer offered?

Thanks.

- Harry

Woody Elmore

Your posting is unclear - do you want to lower older cars to match the newer ones or do you want to lower the cars and use Kadee couplers and pockets in place of the Bachmann coupler pocket?

The NGSL Gazette had a feature a few years back about lowering cars. The authors started by removing the Bachmann coupler pocket and then carved off the little hump and protruding lug from the bolster and filed it flat. The lug can be replaced with 5/32 tubing from Plastistruct. That way you can use the Bachmann truck screw with Bachmann trucks. Then they used smaller wheels in the trucks or used Grandt SRRL On30 trucks. This lowered the cars and kept the HO gauge coupler height which has become a De Facto standard.

I am not able right now to locate the particular issue of the Gazette - the article was great with lots of pictures.

jestor

The Favorite Spot (on E-Bay) has the lowering underframes for $19, including shipping. They come three to a card in black or red. They will fit all freight cars. You reuse your old trucks. None are available for passenger cars. I have used them to lower all of my older cars.

HarryHotspur

Thanks for the info, Woody. I'll answer as best I can, considering my limited knowledge.

I want to lower the ride height of the cars, while retaining the standard HO coupler height.  I'd rather not change couplers or wheels unless necessary.

I had assumed that the replacement chassis and/or trucks would accomplish this, but I could well be wrong.

HarryHotspur

Quote from: jestor on March 26, 2009, 08:45:27 PM
The Favorite Spot (on E-Bay) has the lowering underframes for $19, including shipping. They come three to a card in black or red. They will fit all freight cars. You reuse your old trucks. None are available for passenger cars. I have used them to lower all of my older cars.

Thanks! Does the coupler height stay the same?  FWIW, I have no newer cars to compare them to.

the Bach-man

Dear Harry,
The new frames use the existing trucks, lower the car, and still allow the couplers to line up.
Brilliant!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

HarryHotspur