News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

lighted caboose

Started by hunter2115, March 25, 2009, 01:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter2115

Does anyone know why no one makes lighted cabooses in HO scale? It seems like all of the ones that are made are O scale. Seems to me that if Bachmann came out with a caboose with working marker lights, they'd sell a ton of them. Anyone know where one can be found (perferably Santa Fe)?

Bill Baker

I bought one off of E-bay which was made with red and green LEDs and powered with a watch battery.  There was an on/off switch fastened to the bottom of the caboose.
Bill

Tim

To All

Tomar Industries has lighted adlake markers in H0 and 0.

http://www.tomarindustries.com/

Look under accessories.

They are not cheap H0 ~ $16.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Tylerf

Proto 2000 has lighted cabooses, no marker lights. There is a lights and flasher kit by jay-bee for athearn cabooses and probably fit in a bachmann somehow. Here's the exciting one though, rapido Is designing an amazing caboose with marker lights and interior lighting along with so many other details, what I think might just be the best HO rtr caboose out there. I can't wait till fall when it suppsedly comes out

db22

I have Bachmann cabooses with the metal wheels that are isolated from one side to the other so I used the copper spring assy from the Kaydee couplers and spread the spring wings to run against the inside of the wheels on each side. The copper piece is screwed on with the truck mounting screw and the trucks aligned so that the conducting wheels are on either side. I soldered a wire onto the copper piece and drilled a hole into the box of the car approx in the middle. The wires are then mounted to an LED with an operating voltage of 14v. BTW the LED has an internal resister. The LED is glued inside the caboose for the desired effect. Use yellow or red or a white LED. I run DCC and all is well.

OkieRick

Quote from: db22 on March 27, 2009, 11:35:49 AM
I have Bachmann cabooses with the metal wheels that are isolated from one side to the other so I used the copper spring assy from the Kaydee couplers and spread the spring wings to run against the inside of the wheels on each side. The copper piece is screwed on with the truck mounting screw and the trucks aligned so that the conducting wheels are on either side. I soldered a wire onto the copper piece and drilled a hole into the box of the car approx in the middle. The wires are then mounted to an LED with an operating voltage of 14v. BTW the LED has an internal resister. The LED is glued inside the caboose for the desired effect. Use yellow or red or a white LED. I run DCC and all is well.

How are the wheels isolated from both rails?  I've been thinking about this all week...how to isolate one wheels and axle from one side and the other wheel(s) and axle(s) from the other? 

I was about to ask somone around here to cut a piece out of an axle and replace it with some heat shrink insulating tubing or even a short piece of small diameter rubber or plastic hose or tubing.  I have access to the small diameter plastic tubing from the hospital - or it may be available at a hobby shop.  With the axle separated getting contact on each rail separately.

Whoah...Yampa Bob posted a pic of the underside of a tender, let's see...
How are these wheels insulated Bob?

Other ideas for power from the track anyone?

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

One wheel has a plastic sleeve that separates it from the metal axle.

These trucks have insulated wheelsets with metal axles.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWN06&P=SM
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

TexasChief

Rapido just announced a wide vision caboose with lighted interior and lighted markers.

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!