News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

opinion on locomotive

Started by Slam, March 25, 2009, 09:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slam

I am looking for a large steam locomotive, preferably a 2-4-2 to a 4-8-4, for under $90. do you have any personal preferences or recommendations that I might take into consideration?
I greatly appreciate your time.
Sincerely, slam

dtpowell

A 2-4-2 is generally a small locomotive. Since this is the N scale board I'm assuming your looking for a larger N scale loco under $90.

My personal Pick would be Bachman's Light Mountain 4-8-2. It's a great loco and can be purchased under $90. It can be used for both freight and passenger trains.

Check the EBay dealer The favoritespot for the best price.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/THE-FAVORITE-SPOT__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Or, MB Klein www.modeltrainstuff.com I've dealt with both and been consistently happy with the results.

jwoj69

There is got to be someone, who knows something, please,
I was just admiring 2-6-6-2 Saddle Tank articulated in a different scale, how about something n scale?
jack

fieromike

Well DT,
It appears that your opinion doesn't carry much weight today...
That's okay, *I* agree with you!

James in FL

I don't know.

IMO, DT gave good advice.

Both the light and heavy Mountains are a great bang for the buck.
As is the "J" 4-8-4 and the "new split frame" Northern also a 4-8-4, albeit not a spectrum.
The B'mann 2-6-6-2 Spectrum is also a very nice loco, although some consider it a bit light on pulling power.
That can be addressed. It's a great runner.

All of these can be found at the Favorite Spot, if you have patience and don't mind re-painting into your favorite road.

QuoteI am looking for a large steam locomotive, preferably a 2-4-2 to a 4-8-4, for under $90.

At your prerequisite price point, B'mann "owns" the market, in large steam.

Good Luck.