News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

impressed with the 2-8-0 (w/ DCC sound)

Started by lmackattack, March 26, 2009, 12:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmackattack

I picked up a 2-8-0 from micro mark.they had a good deal with the "we pick the road name"... I was sceptical about buying another spectrum after I recently had to repower my "new" mountain with a kato motor to keep the pulling power steady and chuff in step with the wheel RPMs. Im a little picky I guess.... but it was noticeable to me and others as well... anyways this little 2-8-0 pulls good and runs steady near stall speed (slipping wheels) Unlike the mountain,I could adjust this motors compensation CVs to keep the RPMs steady under full load. it pulls and sounds great. less than a day old and I have repainted it in I.C.R.R. # 906 moved the speaker to under the coal load as I will be adding taller sides to the tenders coal bunker as thats what the IC did with alot of there tenders. I just put the decals on tonight and will add the flat seal coat tomorrow. it looks a little tacky right now but its not done yet.

Yampa Bob

I shortened several USRA medium tenders and added tall bunkers. The first was for another member in Iowa, he lettered it ICRR 908.

If you want some of the pictures will be glad to send them to you. They might give you some ideas for the bunkers.

I plan to work up a thread with pictures, a bit slow in the motivation department lately.   8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

Are you going to add the Paducha sand box?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lmackattack

Yampa, Yes I would indeed like to see those pics if you have the time to upload them.
my email is Lmackattack@hotmail.com or post them here if its faster

Gene..this is the photo im goin off of. Im not sure what dome to use as I cant tell how round the sand dome is? the one thing that I spotted that is diffrent between the pic and my HO loco is the air pump locations. but I can live with that or just change the engine number?

Yampa Bob

Pictures of a Paducah Connie detailed by Lanny should be in your inbox. I'll post them here in a separate thread later, along with the IC 908 tender.

lmackattack

thanks for the pics! it looks just like number 906! cant wait to see the tender shots!

Thanks again!!
Trent

Yampa Bob

It's hard to believe that was a stock Spectrum. I think many of the added detail parts are brass, possibly Cary, I'll try to find out.

lmackattack

I got the tender pics today. Thanks again!! I will start on the tender tonight. Hopefully it will be ready for this weekends running down at the club?

I still need to get to headlight to light up brighter. It looks like a dim candel right now? then i need to figure how to add wireing for the tender back up light

SteamGene

The sand dome is squatter and more square than the steam dome.   I'm not sure when - or if - they moved  the air pump to the pilot deck. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lmackattack

took the 2-8-0 to the club tonight and testing her strength. 29 cars it could pull any grade on the layout with minimal slipping. maxed out on the flats with 39 cars  :o I added 1/2 oz of weight in the cab so that helped.

then I added my powered box car and was "pulling" 65 cars. Looked good when the old engine was pulling a longer train than the people running with 3 diesels!!

Yampa Bob

Hey Trent,
The guys at the old Paducah shop would be proud of you, great job on the high bunker. I hope you didn't tell the others about the powered box car.  :D

I bet the extra coal load space also improved the sound. If you want to tackle a powered caboose and need help on the adapter plate, let me know.

Thanks for sharing the pics, I added them to my collection.