News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 combine with cupola

Started by Rail Rat, April 14, 2009, 11:38:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rail Rat

I have an extensive colection of Bachmann On30 & HO scale trains. I recently saw an interesting HO scale combine car that also had a cupola toward one end of the car & an open work deck at the other end.  I would truly like to see Bachmann make this in On30 scale.  I think it would be great for branch line operations.  Thank You. Rick Miller (The Rail Rat of North Versailles, PA) Owner/Operator of the largest Bachmann On30 railroad in the area with 6 main lines.

Tomcat

There is a easy conversion available from Bill Banta - don´t know if you have seen this already? Check out Bill´s Homepage: www.bantamodelworks.com

It´s that easy: fits like a glove, exactly constructed and produced. Adding this cupola to a Bachmann combine is a straightforward job. I´m sure if you have done this, you may ask yourself why you hadn´t tried this earlier...

Have done two conversions - D&RGW they are, which were fun to build. Actually, this results in somewhat similar as a Pagosa Springs Drovers Caboose - the D&RGW had one, but this car had been much longer than the Bachmann combine.

Cheers, Tom

Rail Rat

Thanks Tom.  That's pretty close!  My poor vision and less than nimble fingers would prevent me from applying such modifications to one of my combines.  Anyone interested in doing one for me can contact me at millerrick@comcast.net to discuss pricing, etc.  Thank you. Rick.

El Loco

This cupola kit is very enticing  & this thread is giving me an itch I'm gonna have to scratch! ;)  Time to order some stuff to build one! ;D

C.S.R.R. Manager

I'm working on a Drover right now, using the Banta cupola, and it's a very nicely designed model.  The geometry is really well done, and it's a tight fit.  But I ended up slicing a hole in the combine roof, so the cupola is open to the car below.  Having that clerestory continue through the cupola was too visually wrong.  And installing the windows is a delicate matter.

Agreed, a RTR Drover from Bachmann would be a welcome addition.

manager

rustyrails

Rail Rat,
The car you saw may have been built from an Ambroid kit.  The Ambroid kits were mostly limited run, all wood with metal details, and quite challenging to build.  You have to supply trucks and couplers.  Sometimes you can find one of these kits on e-Bay and I encourage you to build one.  You'll learn a lot and end up with a car that none of your buddies has.  Lots of "wow" factor. ;D
Rusty

az2rail

The Mount Blue Model Co. also makes conversion kits for a drovers caboose. They have a couple of versions that also use Bachmann coach frames. Check out their web site.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Tomcat

And there´s Deerfield River Laser also - they make a single cupola to slide on the Bachmann Combine´s roof. If one doesn´t want to make something more D&RGW alike, this would be another way to convert a Bachmann Combine.

Cheers, Tom :) :) :)