News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Chick with lots of questions

Started by Denyse, March 27, 2009, 12:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denyse

To start with. I have created a layout using Bachmann EZ Track.  It is rather large 5'x10'  The top is level and smooth.  I have one older Non-Bachmann Engine that I will one day learn to convert to DCC.

The rest of my engines are DCC (Bachmann) and I have the one non-DCC Bachmann engine that came with it's own powerpack.

I under stand the connection of the power pack as far as the DVD goes.

BUT...  How many actual connections to the layout should I have providing power? and to that end to assure that they are all correct (no shorts) before I dare put an engine on the tracks.

Running as DC, I have found I have no problems except when I go over a turnout (switch), then the engine might go once over it, or twice but then it derails.  It is not all the time, but it is a sure thing that the train will derail over some switch.  NON of the radius' on the layout are less than 22".

I also have a pair of Bachnann EZ Track #6 Crossover Turnout's  It makes no difference changing tracks or going straight there is a derailment.

There is a jumper on the underside, for power.  Does this have to be used?

I was told that there is a frog or something that can be removed for more reliable operation.  What is that?

At the Cleveland Greatest Hobby Show I was told to throw away the Bachmann turnout controller and get one that would provide better power to hold the switch in a certain position.  OR to just get spring loaded manual throws and use them.

I have more, but this would be enough not to get laughed at when a few friends come over this next week.

thanks!

Tylerf

Ok well the more connections or (feeders) you install the better more consitant power you will have. This is easy just run a main set of feeders under the layout and every 4-6 feet of track run a feeder up to the tracks. Color coding the wires will insure you do it all correctly with no shorts. Next, these switches how old are they and what condition, I wouldn't expect a new turnout to always derail things but an older one might have been used long enough and is starting to misalign. Check that the points on the turnout line up nicely with the outer tracks. Maybe watch as a train rolls over it and try to pin point the trouble spot on the turnout. I don't know what that's about but the frog is the flatend like x part where the rails cross on the turnout and it cannot and should not be removed because the is no reason to. Finally I agree with whomever told you to get better turnout machines bucause when using  regular non road bed track the spring like ones are pretty much impossible to get working well but the ez track ones should work alright for now. The constant pressure switch machines like the tortise by circuitron are very good machines which include many great possibilties for signaling are also quite expensive so unless you are prepared to spend loads of cash on these the eztrack machines should work fine. So hopefully I've covered all your questions and good luck!
Tyler

lmackattack

Hello and welcome

IMO for your layout 2 feeders would be just fine unless you have issues after switch tracks. I have a 15 X 10 layout in the shape of a dog bone and I have 4 feeders. Never found a dead spot so far.
As far as the switch tracks I have never used the EZ track so cant comment on them. I have 95% Atlas track that is tacked down to foam. Most of the atlas track needed some sort of tweaking to get my trains thru the switch 100%.  It sounds like you may have a switch that needs to be "tweaked". this is fairly common. Even if the switch track is layed on a flat board the switch may be out of gauge and needs to be adjusted. Run the engine very slowly over the bad track and watch what wheel jumps off. It could be a number of things but many times its as simple as bending a rail inwards or filing down a blunt rail edge.  a NMRA track gauge would be the best way to check your switches. this link may help what to look for?http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-1_Overview.html

Trent

DocWhite

Keep you hands off of my computer terminals, will you please.  You can use me as you ISP but stick to your own laptop.

btw... you layout looks really good.  All except for those constant derailments you keep having. 

I will get you an ACME control panel tomorrow when I get to the shop.

bjulian33

I've just setup an HO layout using the ez track system and find its not as easy as it would seem to get the track pieces to connect.  If you run your finger over the joint and its not perfectly smooth than its likely going to cause a derailment. 
My problem is that I can't figure out how to power my turnouts with my DCC controller.   I was ok with using the manual switch but would like to try it powered.  Any Help ???
thanks,
bernie

SteamGene

No, it will cause a derailment.  The misaligned tops of the track come from one rail sitting on TOP of the rail joiner, instead of INSIDE it.  You MUST get the rail inside the joiner. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"