Foam to Liquid Nails Projects Drying Time.

Started by Santa Fe buff, April 16, 2009, 08:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

I have my foam board laid out! I can finally venture into the world of model railroading! There's something I need to clear up. It's a simple question: How long do I need to wait to allow Liquid Nails for Projects to dry after I attach the board and the foam together using it. Yes, there will be heavy weight on... ;)

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rustyrails

I'd let it dry over night at least.  There should be some helpful info on the tube.
Rusty

HO-Ron

15 to 30 minutes depending on what you want to do. Craving it with a hot wire can be done in 15 minutes. Adding another layer can be done in five minutes. If you are going to apply a lot of force to the form you should wait 30 minutes. It sets quite quickly as long as you don't use to much of it. A little goes a long way.

HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

Santa Fe buff

Thanks guys. We can't initially glue the board down. For some reason, the 4x8 piece of foam board over hang a foot. The nice thing is, my dad is going to cut some plywood strips and attach it to the ends of the board. So I'm getting a bit of an extension. This allows the needed room for this new track plan I've created and tracked with Sharpie. I've decided to have a power plant as my main customer, with a coal loading depot (Not sure one what kind) to provide the coal. A nice passenger station will be a nice touch allowing Amtrak service in an area not receiving any in real life. Thanks for the information.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

robin

Santa Fe Buff,

The problem of gluing large pieces of foam to anything is that air can't reach the glue - hence the long drying time.  I've had very good luck using the expanding spray foam as a foam adhesive - just be quick about getting the two surfaces together quickly - the weights should also help.

Robin

jsmvmd

Dear Joshua,

Might I suggest you ask the reference librarian at your local library to find you a copy of "The World's Greatest Hobby" narrated by Michael Gross.  In it Dick Francis, an expert modeler shows you how to construct a nice 4' x 8' HO layout using Liquid Nails for Projects.  I believe they, too recommended an overnight cure time.

http://www.ehobbies.com/bac44596.html

Best Wishes,

Jack

Santa Fe buff

Thanks, but I already own a copy. That's how I got to know to use Liquid Nails for Projects. Thanks anyway.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

9911A E5

I would say 3 to 4 hours to dry.

9911A E5