News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Station Lights with DCC

Started by db22, April 06, 2009, 08:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

db22

Info that may help some - I bought the Freght station and the Passenger station, both of which come with an incandesant lamp inside to light the interior of the building. I wanted to mount the 2 units next to a piece of 9 inch straight so I cut a hole in the side of the track and 2 holes adjacent to the tracks. I then threaded the cable through the side hole and soldered 1 cable to each of the 2 rails by poking the wire up the little holes next to the nickel rail. The DCC constant voltage lights the 2 stations without the need to run cables from a separate aux power supply. I know some people will state that this will take power from the locos but I have numerous lights running from the DCC power and the locos still have enough available current. If current ever became an issue then I would probably buy a booster before I bought an external supply because of the ease of wiring. BTW - Dynamis 2.3 Amps with 4 or 5 locos running at once with LED's in 7 pass cars, 3 cabooses, 4 lit crane cars and 2 stations.

lmackattack

here is an Idea for you. Put resistors on the wire to dim the light and save voltage. I did this on one of my lite switch tower that I had to use power from the tracks.

It will also save the life of the bulbs!