Bachmann Spectrum 8-40CW CSX Diesel's

Started by gsjcas, April 15, 2009, 01:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsjcas

Gentlemen....and or Ladies......I just purchased a pair of Bachmann Spectrum  8-40-CW CSX Diesel Locos. To break them in I ran them one at a time on an oval for an hour each way.....left to right and right to left........I own an Empire with many engines both steam and diesel........My question is why do these new engines perform so poorly............I have two top of the line power packs and all my engines perform great.....I have a Kato Diesel that will run rings around these Spectrums.........Even after a couple of hours........They barely make it around the oval......with the power pack set at 90.....
They look great but their performance has left me wondering if I made the wrong purchase.????? I bought them from a well respected Bachman Dealer on Ebay......brand new with factory warranty.......As I said these babies are beautiful....but they are SLOOOOOOOWWWWWW. Can anyone offer any help.?  How about the Bachmann.

Stephen D. Richards

Hmmm...I have three Spectrum Dash 8'.  I usually run them with two Kato SD70Macs and they run great together.  They run just fine by themselves and usually pull as well as any locomotive on my layout.  Question.  What is the numbers on the Dash 8s?  They may be new but old stock and the grease may have thickened a bit.  If you haven't lubed them yet, it  might be a thought.  Are these DCC or prior to DCC?  I only have one DC Dash 8 Spectrum and I wanted it for the body.  It was old and used so I asumed that was the reason it ran so poorly.  Stephen

gsjcas

Thanks for your input .......I wll get the road numbers and get back to you.......Your suggesstion makes sense......We will see........

gsjcas

Gentlemen.......Trainman back    the Road numbers of my diesels are 7654....both of them.............I do not know how old they are........Can You tell me how old they are by those numbers??????  If they are "old" and "stuck"....what can I do  to get them to run better........They are really too slow for New Engines.......I have always had good luck with Bachmann.....Until now......Any help anyone????????   Looking forward to any and all responses.......

James in FL

Are these decoder equipped locos that you are running on DC?

gsjcas

To James in Fl.........No they are not Dcc equipped.................

gsjcas

Mr. Bachmann can you help with this issue????????     If you can not ...I do not know whereto go next...............

the Bach-man

Dear g,
They are geared to run slowly, but if you think they're too slow, return them for replacement.
Have fun!
the Bach-man