News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-2

Started by DICKW, April 13, 2009, 12:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DICKW

I have a Bachmann Spectrum 2-10-2 with DCC decoder, item # 83301, no sound, which has run erratically (loping forward and reverse) since purchase.  Sending in to service did not help, as they could not identify the problem, and sent back the loco.
It is possible that disengaging BMEF CV on decoder can solve the problem.  Is there a decoder manual available online on the decoder Bachmann installed on the loco with CV info, or does anyone know what that CV is on Bachmann's decoder?  Thanks, DickW

pdlethbridge

On the left of this box is another box labeled ez command, open it up and the bottom one is for the bachmann decoders with installation and CV's shown.

rustyrails

Hey, Dick,
I've looked at the manual and I don't think there is a way to turn BEMF off in this decoder.  Usually controlling BEMF is associated with CV10.   I think I'd be more likey to make sure that bit 2  in CV29 is set to 0.  Bachmann calls this bit 3.  Don't ask.  LOL   Anyway, bit 2 (the one with a value of 4) turns off the dual mode feature which is known to cause unpredictable behavior when operating on DCC.  If Bachmann didn't identify  the trouble, it's because they quit looking too soon.  This is not rocket science.
Rusty
PS: There are 8 bits in a byte.  bit 0, bit 1, bit 2....bit 7  That's why the decoder instructions misname bit 2.  I count 0, 1, 2, 3...7.  They count 1,2,3...8.  If you need help with the binary numbers, drop me a note.