News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pulling apart your Loco's

Started by honibear61, April 07, 2009, 11:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honibear61

How do you pull apart the loco's?
I don't want to break any thing, so how do you do it?
Want to install DCC.

Yampa Bob

It would help a lot if you would please advise us of the scale, manufacturer, type and part number of your locomotive.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

honibear61

It is a Bachmann EMD GP 40 Diesel HO scale.
Its ok I worked it out mysef!!!
Now I have another qustion, How do I install a 1 amp decoder into the diesel?
I know I know there is instructions however I am new to this hobby & I know there are written instructions with the decoder but which wire is motor terminal 1 & which is motor terminal 2? Is motor teminal 1 the black or red wire? Pics would be nice!!!
Help would be appreciated

Aussie model rail enthusist

Yampa Bob

I have to assume you are hard wiring a decoder since the loco is not DCC ready. There isn't much room so you may have to use a small decoder such as the Digitrax DZ123/DZ125, or one of the newer decoder boards now being offered.

Please refer to the exploded diagram that came with your locomotive. If the loco is wired according to standard color convention, (some are not) the red motor wire connects to the orange decoder wire, black motor wire to the gray decoder wire.  If the loco runs the wrong direction then reverse the wires or change the default forward direction with your DCC controller if you have one. If you are running DC power, then the loco direction should match the direction switch on the controller when the right rail is positive polarity.

For the pickups, normally red is to the right rail/drivers,(red decoder wire), black to the left rail/drivers.(black decoder wire).

Headlight to white and blue decoder wires, taillight to yellow and blue decoder wires. (blue is common to both lights)

Trace and confirm all wiring before attempting to hard wire the decoder.  At first only connect the pickups and motor wires and test on your track. Then do the light wiring.

I can't tell from the diagram if the motor is isolated.  You should check with an ohmmeter to be sure the motor is totally isolated from the frame.

Here is a link for the diagram in case you don't have it.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H635X_IS005.pdf

Keep us posted with your progress.
Regards

fieromike

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the DZ123 is rated at 1 amp., however it has been superceded by the DZ125, also with a 1 amp rating.

Yampa Bob

Mike,
I stand corrected, the DZ123 is indeed one amp. According to the site, DZ123 is still available, possibly until existing stock is depleted. I will edit my previous post.

http://www.digitrax.com/menu_mobiledecoders.php

Thanks

honibear61

I have installed a Bachmann 1 amp decoder hopefully it will work. I have not tested it yet due to I have no DCC Controller yet, I was bidding for 1 on Ebay but got overrun at the finish!!! I noticed hen I pulled apart the loco that there was a lond then circuit board which had the wires soldered to it. It had 2 tips one on either side. I hope I wired it right!! I shall have to wit & see. Thanks for all your assistance.
Aussie Railroader ;D