News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Nails... Wonderful, Sharp, Nails...

Started by Santa Fe buff, April 12, 2009, 04:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

Bachmann E-Z Track has nail holes, I'm planning on Liquid Nails for an adhesive for the track, but for added strength, I wanted to nail it down. Thus, removing the holes, and adding more strength. There's only one problem... What nails would work for Bachmann E-Z track? Long enough to pass through long nail holes in the ties and ballast, but also a fine depth into the hopefully 3 inches of foam, not to mention how narrow they must be.

For anyone with helpful information, there's a good "Thanks." out there. (No, no chocolates this time...)

We're leaving soon, check in when we get back, I hope.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

rustyrails

Joshua,
I can't answer your question about nails and E-Z track, but please don't use Liquid Nails with expanded styrofoam subroadbed.  You need a product that is called Liquid Nails for Projects.  That adhesive is compatible with plastics.  The original Liquid Nails will attack plastic.  I haven't needed to buy any for several years, so I can't promise that the names are still the same, but it would be a good idea to ask at the hardware store.
Rusty

Santa Fe buff

Rusty,
Thanks, those begineer's videos are extremely helpful, but they leave out parts like that...

Thank you.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Tylerf

Huh that's tricky. I just picked up some peco track nails(not spikes) and they are fairly long. Long enough to go through ez track and into a base but a foam base may not hold the little bit of nail as well as wood. I think these nails are just about as Long as they can get before becoming to thin so you may just have to glue it only. The right glue should hold the track fine yet I don't know my glue very well I do know from expirience that many glues don't like foam boards. Maybe a strong white glue?

Santa Fe buff

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure on the whole 'glue' thing. I heard somewhere that latex caulk might work, but Liquid Nails was brought up in the 'Madison Central' thing the World's Greatest Hobby video. (It came as a Bonus Video in a Model Railroader video thing.) It seems to hold up well, since they only used the adhesive to hold the track down. I just wanted the nails to see if I could get more strength, but it seems I might just only be able to do it to get read of those holes.   

Hm,
I'm not sure, but it seems something to think about for me.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

OkieRick

Woodland Scenics has some 2" nails - Foam Nails that have 70-75 in a pkg. 

"These special nails are designed to hold foam sections, roadbed and other features in place temporarily. Easy to remove, they allow you to refine your track plans and scenery without damage to the surface."

I don't know what diameter they are so can't say if they'll go through your track or roadbed.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Santa Fe buff

Thank you very much Rick. I've contacted Woodland Scenics, hopefully, I will receive a reply with the circumference of the nail, and maybe something about the nail. I did mention my plans of what I want to do with the nails. My friend (9911A E5) has some standard track nails, but they seemed not compatible, just by looking at them, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks again to everyone, I'm look forward to a hopefully good reply from Woodland Scenics.

Here's a new question, what's the circumference of the nail hole on the E-Z track?

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

kevin2083

You could drill the hole bigger in the EZ track and use a long finishing nail
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Yampa Bob

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Santa Fe buff

Bob,
Those could work. We're not using a 1" thick piece anyway, it's going to be a 3" 4x8 piece. I'll have to check our local Walgreens for those.

Kevin,
That's probably what I'll have to do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Joshua

EDIT: I got a reply from Woodland Scenics:

Hello Joshua.
I don't readily have the circumfrerence of the nail body available but it is comparible to the size of a large threading needle. If you would like I could mail you a sample, just provide us with your mailing address.
We do recommend gluing the track down.  A good product for this is our Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue.
If we can be of further assistance please let us know.
Dayna Larson
Woodland Scenics

I'm replying with another question.

Dayna,
I would like if you could mail it, but I have a question about that. What postage, if any, is there? I'm a bit cautious about sending out my address, but I will consider it. I'll let you know of further updates such as if I would like to have that mailed or not. Also, is there return postage?

Thanks for your time again, and the suggestions.

Joshua

What do you guys think?

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

OkieRick

Dayna,
I would like if you could mail it, but I have a question about that. What postage, if any, is there? I'm a bit cautious about sending out my address, but I will consider it. I'll let you know of further updates such as if I would like to have that mailed or not. Also, is there return postage?

Thanks for your time again, and the suggestions.

Joshua

What do you guys think?

I think you were thinking when you asked about s/h on a sample.  I would assume they'd be free but I don't get offers of samples often.

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Santa Fe buff

He responded, it is free, and I can keep it.

I sent him my address, I should be getting it soon... I hope.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer