News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-6-0 Decoder installation

Started by marjer, April 16, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richG

Quote from: ta152h0 on April 17, 2009, 08:06:53 PM
I ended up buying an old time passenger car for my small tender ten wheeler and installed the decoder with the speaker in that car. Looks good and you have to be really close to hear the speaker being in the passenger car. Sure takes a long time for this one to break in and rune smoothly.

Drill holes for the speaker in the bottom of the passenger car. Make sure all the windows on the car have "glass". The inside of the car has to be sealed like a tender for good sound.

Rich

marjer

8 plug socket.  I had thought of that before.I'm not sure it's a dummy  as there are solder connections already made allready on the dummy'.

Assuming this is the correct place to plug in the decoder, which end goes where? Does the red wire go to the front towards the front of the tender, or does the  red wire go to the rear of the tender, plus what does one do with the  green and purple wires that are loose from the 9 pin connector?  The mystery of where the connector may be solved but I have yet to find a complete wiring diagram for this sucker.

marjer

rustyrails

The green and purple wires are for additional effects--a flashing beacon for example--and can be clipped off and ignored if you aren't using them.  One pin on "receptical" will be marked, probably with a little white triangle.  That is pin 1.  The orange wire goes to pin 1.  Good luck.
Rusty
PS  If you insert the plug backwards, no damage will be done, but you'll know you did it wrong because the lights won't work properly.

Yampa Bob

Here are some pictures, diagrams and pinouts that might help. Scroll down to 4th post for pinouts.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7439.0.html

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

marjer,

Does your decoder look like this first one on the left - DHWPS?

Green and Violet are for extra use for other decoders.  Tape and secure the ends so they won't short circuit.

Here is the 9-pin plug to 8-pin plug conversion per the instructions with your decoder.  The DCC Medium Plug will be a connector made of two rows of four solder joints.

Anything look familiar?

Tender with "DCC Ready" plug removed:

Tender with "DCC Ready" plug inserted:

Rick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman