News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-2 Achiles heel, Bachmann #82505

Started by ta152h0, April 12, 2009, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

what I thought was a programming error ( my problem ) turns out to be what I consider the Achiles heel of this locomotive.  Part numb H816X-MT018 is a pad with two copper rails and fingers that contact the driving wheels. Somehopw, if these fingers are not precisely located on the wheel surface, the spokes grab and mangle the finger. Bummer and I hope bachmann industries still has that part number in stock

lmackattack

those electrical pickup tabs are a PITA! once a week I need to check them. if the loco has a bad derailment its back to the work bench to bend them back.

ta152h0

what are the consequences of cutting off the offending tab other than not picking up power on that particular wheel. From the locomotive inspection, looks like Bachmann designed power pick-up from both the tender and the locomotive to make sure no dead spots from the track.

Atlantic Central

As politely as possible, let me remind all that these are high quality, highly detailed operating models, not toy trains. With reasonable care and careful handling, the pickup wipers are not a problem at all.
I have six Bachmann 4-8-2's, the only problem I have ever had in years was with a few wipers slightly missaligned right out of the box.

"Bad derailments"? All derailments are bad and can be mostly avoided by good track work and proper operation.

Sheldon

rogertra

I second Sheldon's comments about them being models and not toys and that every derailment is a bad derailment.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the reintroduction of the light Mountain.  I could use at least four to six more to supplement the two I already have as they are planned to be my main though freight engine.

lmackattack

ta152h0 I would not cut the tabs off. you need as much power pickup as you can get with this engine. If you can take the cover off and bend them back you will be better off. Like I said before they are very fraigile and need to be tweaked to get them to work properly. Many of these engine right out of the box had bent tabs so this is very common thing to check and work on.

I wont argue what a "good" or "bad" derailment might or might not be   ;) the fact is that the wipers are not in a good location if the loco deciceds its time to leave the rails. Considering how most other MFG are getting power pickup from the driver wheels the Spectrum mountains do not use the best possible way. Yes the locos are very nicely detailed and all but that does not say that it may have a well known issue. If I recall Moldel railroad Magizine notes this in one of its write ups? 

ta152h0

i just went ahead and sent a letter to Bachmann service for new power pickups. The tabs are so thin it is impossible to bend them back to original configuration. I just finished making atoolto compress all driving wheels to the frame and screw down the copper plate assembly.

ta152h0

I just received the parts from Bachmann and i would like to, thru this forum, thank them for the prompt reply and care they took in packaging the flimsy parts. the check is in the mail. Again thanks for taking care of this customer. And by the way, refire up the 4-8-2 's.  ;D

Chris350

Quote from: ta152h0 on April 24, 2009, 11:59:07 PM
I just received the parts from Bachmann and i would like to, thru this forum, thank them for the prompt reply and care they took in packaging the flimsy parts. the check is in the mail. Again thanks for taking care of this customer. And by the way, refire up the 4-8-2 's.  ;D
If I might inquire, what did those run?  I have one of these 4-8-2's and it's pickups are in poor condition.  I need to replace then since I just finished putting a Tsunami into a Hicken tender for it... Sounds great, but doesn't track do well....

ta152h0

Bachmann service asked for thirteen dollars for two of them, shipping and handling .

Chris350

thanks I'll have to put this on my need doing list.

ta152h0

Mackattack is right. It is a PITA thing to do. Got to get my tool remanufactured/ modified.