does anyone make conversion kits for the 2-8-0 belt drive

Started by rallygsc, May 02, 2009, 03:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallygsc

Hello Everyone:  ;D

I love bachmann's 2-8-0, but the 2-8-0's seem too problematic with their belt drives in my opinon,

I have had to use the warranty on them more than once for the belt, I found a small solution using a steel belted vcr belt, it works,

but I heard of a conversion kit that eliminates the belt, does anyone know of it?.

it's a great loco, but the stupid design flaw is the belt in my opinion, there is enough room to use a gear driven system and still keep it hidden, you would have to change the pulleys to gears and somehow mount a gear inbetween the motor and the bottom shaft.

any help is appreciated on this,

take care and thanks
George

BillD53A

I scarf those loomotives up any time I get the chance.   Been buying them since they first came out and now own 84 of them.  The only problem I have ever had with ANY of them was the wiring harness on the first one.  One of the wires pulled out of the plug and I had to hardwire it.  That resulted in a mis-alignment of the gears when I re-assembled it, and the teeth stripped off the axle gear.  The wheelsets were replaced by Bachmann and it is still going.  I own 54 ten-wheelers, and the only problem was a burned-out DCC board.  Threw the board away and rewired the loco and it is fine (runs better than the rest due to the lack of DCC garbage.)  I own 25 of the standard locomotives and the only problem is a lack of tractive effort.
Never had ANY problem with belts.

Jim Banner

The group I model with has been using these in our display at our local museum since they first came out.  We have worn out quite a few of them, which isn't surprising as the public runs the wheels off them.  But never had a belt problem.  The last couple of years we have had problems with jack shaft bushings wearing out and the jack shaft cutting into the soft metal frame.  It is probably a combination of small bushing and lack of regular lubrication.  The ones where I have replaced the bushings with longer ones have not had a repeat of that problem.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

A bit off topic, but would you believe I wore out a Spectrum 2-8-0 in only 3 years of running?  I mean the thing is shot, driver axle bushings ground out, drivers out of round, can't keep them quartered, sounds like a thrashing machine and waddles like a duck. The belt is the only thing that still works ok.  :D

I've had it apart at least 5 times, my wife won't let me run it anymore and threatened to pitch it when I'm not looking, or use it for target practice. Yeah, I could return it to service, but not sure if I can still get a UP #618. Not a high priority at this time.

I have 3 new ones still in the boxes, plus several extra tenders. They will probably get "archived" as the CEO doesn't like steam anyway.   >:(
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

sparkyjay31

Sounds like it's time for the Board of Directors to fire the CEO!!! ;D
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!