Sagging Coupler and coupler pocket on Pennsy Porthole Combine

Started by Merrill, May 06, 2009, 10:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merrill

At my age, it's not so unusual that my coupler pocket and coupler will sag a bit. I have shimmed the coupler inside the pocket, but the pocket still has quite a bit of sag. The problem is made worse by trying to match it up to a BLI GG-1, which has a naturally high coupler. Before I go opening up the combine, how can I cinch up the sag?

rustyrails

Hey, Merrill,

As a general rule, the best way to mount couplers is in a draft gear box of the same brand, permanently affixed to the car floor.  I have several Bachmann heavyweight cars that have the pivoting draft gear box.  The problem is that the box flops around.  Shimming will only work if you have a solid surface to shim against.  I removed the pivot mechanism and, using a Kadee gauge to make sure the height was correct, I drilled a #50 hole in the floor of the car, tapped it for a 2-56 screw, and attached the draft gear box.  The layout I had at the time had 30" min radius curves and I had no problems with having enough coupler swing.  Hope this helps.

Rusty

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Merrill on May 06, 2009, 10:33:44 AM
At my age, it's not so unusual that my coupler pocket and coupler will sag a bit.

Have you seen a doctor?

Ba-da-bing!  :D

Chris350

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on May 06, 2009, 03:07:11 PM
Quote from: Merrill on May 06, 2009, 10:33:44 AM
At my age, it's not so unusual that my coupler pocket and coupler will sag a bit.

Have you seen a doctor?

Ba-da-bing!  :D
oohhh I saw that one coming.. The ditch lights gave it away.

Yampa Bob

Imagine telling the doctor you have a sagging coupler.  >:(   :D

Seriously, I use only Kadee #148 couplers with the matching draft box. There is no vertical slop or sag due to the precise tolerances.  An essential tool is the Kadee HO coupler height gauge.

Since I only run short cars, I convert all Talgo truck mounted couplers to body mount draft boxes, and modify or replace the trucks.  Here is my thread about upgrading Talgo trucks.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4917.0.html

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Yampa Bob on May 07, 2009, 01:26:44 AM
Imagine telling the doctor you have a sagging coupler.  >:(   :D

Or, worse yet, a hotbox. ...

(I guess that one pushed the limits a bit. ...  )