News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ON-30 outdoors

Started by jestor, May 08, 2009, 03:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jestor

There was a question concerning running ON-30 trains outdoors on the General Discussion board.  So I will post my thoughts here, since this board is about ON-30.  Track would likely be the biggest problem since track used with ON-30  is not UV stabilized. I feel that the track would not last too many seasons outdoors unless hand laid using wood ties. The elements cause problems with electrical conductivity, so many outdoor types (me included) have gone to radio control/battery power in our large scale trains. This might be practical for ON-30 if used in a trailing car. A single 9 volt battery should suffice for power. Run time will vary depending on speed and load. Keep a fresh spare battery on hand and you can run all day with just an occasional stop to "refuel" just like the real trains do.  Bottom line; track power too much trouble. Battery power/radio control may be feasable if you can find a receiver small enough to fit in ON-30 car.  Other opinions are welcome.

C.S.R.R. Manager

As far as I know, the plastic in Peco track is adjusted to withstand UV.  A fellow named John Teal has several YouTube videos showing his outdoor On30 layout, under the username johntealon30, and you might be able to google some links to other info.

In terms of remote control and batteries, at a recent train show we got to see a 1:48 truck that was fully remote controlled, and it seems that it would be easy to fit the same electronics into the tender of a larger On30 loco.  Seems like there was an On30 modular club that was partially RC.  Maybe someone else can recall.

Manager