News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Spectrum Mikado 2-8-2

Started by Pacific Northern, May 10, 2009, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I have been browsing a number of the on-line hobby shops and have noticed when available, this engine is being sold and advertised significantly higher than the regular Spectrum steamers.

Is it because it is somewhat scarcer than the other Spectrum models or is it actually more detailed than the other Spectrum's?

In any case it certainly commands a premium price.
Pacific Northern

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on May 10, 2009, 04:11:26 PM
Because it's a model of a Chinese SJ 2-8-2?

I know that this engine is based on the Chinese model, but is there any other differences that would account for the significant higher price. Is it that much in demand that it sells for more or are there differences in the quality of finish. From the picture it does seem to have more detail castings. Are there other differences?
Pacific Northern

hotrainlover

PM,
I had the opportunity to examine this engine, briefly.  I had thought of converting it to a "Almost Prototype" GN model.  It would have been an undertaking, since it is a Chinese engine....  The engine was a great looking model.  It did have a lot of detail.  I did not see any particular reason for it being higher in cost, nor did I pursue that point, since I decided to not spend the cash at the time. 

Shoot me an email, I have another idea for you. ;D

Stephen D. Richards

I have one and the only real difference I can tell is in the couple between the engine and tender.  Nice detail, but quite honestly it is the only loco that I own that has given me problems running right out of the box!  It is a bit light for the size loco it is as well.  I have several 2-8-0's and they run fine and will pull three times the rolling stock that the Mikado will pull.  Stephen

rustyrails

As the dollar decreases in value overseas, things we buy that are made overseas cost more. 
Rusty

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rustyrails on May 11, 2009, 09:32:14 AM
As the dollar decreases in value overseas, things we buy that are made overseas cost more. 
Rusty

Those increases would be affecting ALL the newer Spectrums, not just this engine.

If you check adds in Model Railroader and others you will see that when one compares ONLY the Spectrum steamers, this particular engine is listed at least twice the value of the other Spectrums.  Twice that of the newer 4-4-0 or the 2-8-4's.
Pacific Northern

Guilford Guy

I'm not positive, but weren't these a limited run? I also remember seeing adds proclaiming it as one of the most detailed HO locomotives.
Alex

Pacific Northern

I was in a hobby shop recently and the Spectrum Mikado was in a glass display case. The engine was priced at $350 (Canadian dollars) . There were also a Spectrum 2-10-2 in the case and priced at $175.00.

The Mikado seemed to be more detailed than the 2-10-2.  Unfortunately the cabinet was locked and the manager had the key and was at lunch.

First time I actually saw this engine, 
Pacific Northern