Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single chuff (redux)

Started by SteamGene, February 04, 2007, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

#647 is an Athearn with no additional weight or anything.  Two Pullmans are Walthers and one is an IHC. 
The return trip had VT&P Class H1 Hudson 509 on the point.  This is an old Rivarossi, which may get retired and have the tender salvaged to up grade other locomotives, it being a good copy of the C&O R17 tender. 
BTW, since I didn't put a helix on the east penninsula, I'm going to add another coal tipple to the west of Hannaville, so the town will have one tipple to the east and one to the west.   That could lead to an establishment called The Middle Tipple in Hannaville, which her father might not appreciate.  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Atlantic Central

Gene,

That's great, the move revenue the better! The Middle Tipple, of course, those miners need food and entertainment!

I asked about the Pacific seeing as how they are so "rare" these days.

I am debating if I should order Cary boilers and Alliance motors for two Mantua drives have laying around. It's looking more and more like that is the only hope for a decent heavy Pacific any time soon.

Sheldon

Paul M.

How do you like the IHC pullman, is it fairly well detailed?

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

SteamGene

It's not bad.  You can get an interior kit which does a good job - and is also good for hiding weight if you have small birdshot!  The trucks have more travel than the Walther's trucks.  There are some places, even with 30" curves, where it seems I need to cut out some of the Walther's underbody detail.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

The gandy dancers are called to put in track through Hannahville tomorrow.  GP#13 is ready for it's turnout, and JP#6 will probably get its tomorrow.  The thrust is to get at least one track through.  Hannahville should be finished for track by Tuesday and then we have to attack the harder stuff - finishing the Micro-engineering viaduct to Basic City and track from Hannaville to Leesboro. 
I'd like to have the basic loop complete by 19 September.   That may happen, with a bit of luck and a lot of help.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

Well, sometimes you have to retrace your steps.  >:( The Hannahville west curve just wasn't right so I pulled it up and will put it back correctly tomorrow.  Since Hannah and her parents are coming for barbeque on Monday, I need to get the track back in place by then. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

SteamGene

I've just finished installing the high bridge over Mickie's run.  To the horror of one of my helpers it's a combination of three Atlas bridges, but I think it's high enough and far enough away that Atlas works.  I've even painted the guard rails rust.  On the track leading up to the bridge I measure 14 volts with a voltmeter, and each bridge section measures the same amount.  But the one piece of section track past the bridge measures zero volts.  I have not fastned the track down to the subroadbed yet.  This is the section I planned on running leads to, but I'm amazed that it gets no voltage at all. 
Any ideas?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jake

Quote from: SteamGene on August 13, 2007, 06:45:35 PM
Jay,
I have to hang my head.  I've been dealing with computers since something like 1985 and have been a photographer since 1967 or so, but I have had no luck uploading photos to any of the many photo sites on the net.  I'm going to get my daughter to unload her pics off my digital and try again.  I'd really like folks to see what the Blue Ridge Sub looks like. 
Gene

Gene, If you are really having this much trouble, you could e-mail me the photos and I'd gladly get them up on the boards. PM me if you are interested.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Jake

Gene, try again, I have un-hidden it for the time being. (Though I wish they would get the PM service working...)
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

Jake

Okay, lets see if this works.

This is the portion along the back (west) wall, with the aisle, the 
western penninsula, and staging in the background.
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

EEKKK!  That was a test photo!  It's about a month old, I think.  But the system does seem to work.  Send me an e-mail back, please.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Jake

Yes, I did forget to mention that that photo is about a month old...  :D
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat

Jake

I could have sworn I did... Maybe I clicked "save as draft." I'll go try again.

Edit: Just sent it.
www.myspace.com/vfb1210