News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

multiple decoder types on track

Started by ta152h0, May 12, 2009, 12:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

I have a 2-10-0 Decapod, a 2-6-6-2 articulated with a LENZ decoder and a 4-8-4 and a 4-8-2 on the track at the same time. The parameters for these decoders are different ( ex Top Voltage of the LENZ is set at 255 and the Top Voltage on the MRC is 32. Even set at max, the locomotives run slow except for the 4-8-4 gallops like a horse. Is it really a decoder mix problem ?
DATA - I have the MRC Prodigy Advance 2 system drivint the " git-up "

and all subject locomotives are stored in one cab along with the rest of the fleet not listed.

jward

it really shouldn't make much difference as to decoder types. they are all supposed to conform to nmra specs, which were based on the lenz system.

not sure why you can't get above a 32 as your top voltage setting, i thought all were supposed to be 255. perhaps it has something to do with binary, 32 being 1/8 of 256. (the 256 comes from counting the value of zero as the 256th step.)  in hexadecimal  32 would be the equivalent of 98. that is not a value that should be max on anything, it isn't a nice round number in binary or hex.

write to mrc and ask them, if there's a problem they may replace the decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ta152h0

I was just wondering if each type of decoder should be stored in corresponding cabs.

jward

i don't think it matters which cab you have your decoders assigned to. they should work the same on any cab. btw, did you try running your slow loco on more than one cab?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

A couple of thoughts:
Too many locos on the track at one time, try it alone and see what happens.
Open frame motors run much faster than can motors, at least the ones I've seen.

Jim Banner

I just checked the NMRA requirements for Vhigh (CV5) at the NMRA website and it is supposed to go up to 255 (decimal) or ff (hex.)  If the MRC decoders are compliant, you should be able to program CV5 to higher values, which will increase the maximum speed of the locomotive.  If it is one of the older MRC decoders, you will have to use physical mode programming on your programming track.  It is the only programming mode they understand.

You can find the NMRA definitions of and ranges for CVs at this link:
http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/rp922.html

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ta152h0

thank you. i went back and carefully reread all the instructions for the MRC console and decoder module and found i had made an error on the starting voltage parameters.