News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman Shay Decoder installation

Started by Buddy Dittus, May 13, 2009, 04:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy Dittus

Has anyone installed the decoder in a Shay?
If so does it require the Capacitor to be cut?

I have the newer model with the 8 pin plug.
Called Bachman they say call Digitraxx they say call Bachman???

Daylight4449

Yampa Bob

Bachmann brand decoders are designed to be compatible with the noise suppression components on Bachmann circuit boards.

Using any other brand decoder may require the capacitor(s) to be clipped.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

richG

This pops up quite often about the capacitor. Everyone put this page in your Favorites folder.

Rich

Jim Banner

To expand a little of Bob's comments.  The radio frequency noise suppression capacitors are required in some parts of the world to prevent interference with radios and TVs.  Unfortunately, these capacitors tend to short circuit the high frequency outputs of "silent" or "ultrasonic" decoders, which today, includes most decoders.  This "shorting" often causes erratic operation.

Bachmann's solution is to use non-silent decoders which have a lower frequency output in the high audible range.  Some people with very good hearing find the slight noise from these decoders objectionable, others find it objectionable in steam locomotives but not in diesels, and many, like myself, do not hear it at all.  If the slight noise bothers you, by all means snip the capacitors and install a silent decoder.

Here in North America we tend to live further apart than in other places, so any electrical noise from my locomotives is very unlikely to bother my neighbours.  Even when we live close together, such as in apartment blocks, we rarely have trouble because of our extensive use of CATV and cable systems which, unlike rabbit ears, shield the noise out.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.