Help - New Spectrum Baldwin 4-6-0, broken cylinder

Started by jefro, March 20, 2009, 12:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefro

Hi, we purchased this locomotive from a retailer in New York (TrainWorld.com).  We are in California.  After waiting a week, it finally arrived, extremely well packaged---we are quite happy with the retailer. 

However, within 20 minutes of running time, the right-side cylinder broke completely away from the body of the locomotive, causing the piston bars to seize.  I have tried gluing the cylinder back into place a couple of times, but it continues to break off, even with superglue. 

Note that this loco is owned by an 11-year-old who saved up his own money to buy it, and has waited a week for it to be delivered. 

I have notified Bachmann, but has anyone else seen this problem?  Any way to fix it without sending it back?

thanks

Yampa Bob

Hi jefro,
If you have a local hobby shop, pick up a bottle of Testors #8872 liquid cement. It's the best plastic cement I've found yet. Put a thin film of cement on each part and let it partially dry. Then add more cement and place part into position. You need to apply pressure for about 1 minute until the parts fuse together.

Depending on much area you have to glue for strength, you may have to add a small gusset or brace using a piece of scrap styrene. Once you get the cylinder aligned so the rods work, let the cement dry for 12 hours or more.

If you can't fix it permanently, you still have the option of returning it to Bachmann service for replacement of the shell or cylinder assembly.

You might want to call service and ask Bridgett for advice on how to obtain replacement parts.

Good luck.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

jefro

Following up on this thread---I sent the loco back and received a postcard that it was received and to expect a 6 week turnaround time.  It was received on March 23.  This is the end of the 7th week since then. 

I have called repeatedly and sent multiple emails to customer service, with only one form-letter response that did not answer my query about it. 

We are completely fed up with the long turnaround and lack of information on a brand new purchase.   If I treated my customers and clients like this I would be out of a job in no time.  My son now has a very sour perception of Bachmann.  We just want the loco replaced or our money refunded, but have not been able to raise anyone on the phone.

richG

Hi jefro

I can understand you frustration. I have found by experience the valve gear on this loco is rather fragile and can jam. One time I was putting my 4-6-0 on the track and was holding the loco at the valve gear point. The gear jammed but I recognized it right away as I am a machine mechanic. I managed to free the valve gear before anymore damage occurred. I read in another forum where this happened to someone also. Now I am very careful.
Might be something to watch out for in the future.
I have a Spectrum 4-4-0 also and both have a lot of fragile parts on them.
Good luck.

Rich

jettrainfan

I have called repeatedly and sent multiple emails to customer service, with only one form-letter response that did not answer my query about it. 

We are completely fed up with the long turnaround and lack of information on a brand new purchase.   If I treated my customers and clients like this I would be out of a job in no time.  My son now has a very sour perception of Bachmann.  We just want the loco replaced or our money refunded, but have not been able to raise anyone on the phone.
[/quote]

I really don't like train world :(. Go yell at me for this >:(...but when i was looking at a S-1 diesel for switching... i sent a e-mail and never replied and it's been 2 months! >:( Just for road names! how hard is that? Then i call them up and i said,"hi i was wondering the road names for your S-1 models? The item number? she says. I said *****(not cursing...don't want to go on the site.) She says"S-1 diesel...right?" I thought"what in the world? is she deaf! she could here the numbers but not the model?" That made me mad and calmly said "yes". She says them by abbreviation (Baltimore and Ohio is B&O) And the only one i understood was when she said",...western pacific,...." And i sat their thinking.....about time. And to make it worse she is speed talking three roads a second! so i thought no...i am extremely mad because i was having a bad day so i never asked the R.D.C.-3 models. I feel your pain and i am sorry about what happened... nobody deserves that,especially a young boy who bought it himself :'(.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jefro

Just want to make sure I'm being clear---I am complaining about Bachmann customer service, not TrainWorldOnline. 

Our experience with TrainWorldOnline was very different from yours.  I found them very courteous and helpful.

jettrainfan

Yes train world, sorry about you. I mean i figure they should know the common person does not know their abb. especially that fast! Yeah bachmann's  alright. they said nothing about a replacement for me.(see http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9148.0.html)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

GN.2-6-8-0

As mentioned in past post its best to call 1-215- 533-1600 on your dime and ask for Bridget' she will solve your problem with instructions on how to return your locomotive for a replacement
Rocky Lives

jefro

Thanks -- already left her a message, no response yet.  I did return the loco close to 8 weeks ago and have yet to hear any sort of status on it, other than a  postcard that they received it.